Ultimate Subaru Message Board

transmission stub axel removal.

So today I had possibly one of the worst days in my wrenching history.

Long story short, My subaru axel pin removal tool got stuck. In the process of he-manning that out it broke off. I tried to punch it out with a 3/16" punch that got stuck, managed to barley get that out. Attempted to drill it out with a Ti bit and that broke off.

So now one side of my axle has a bit of drill bit sticking out and the other has a punch. Needless to say they are both stuck good.

How hard is it/is it possible to remove the stub axel from the transmission with an axel still on? or should I just be looking for a new DR transmission?

and yes I know drilling it out was the 'wrong' decision, it was a lapse in judgement on my part. :drunk:

I don't have enough to weld to on either side.

The axel is toast both inner and outer boots are ripped I have a replacement axel ready to go in.

I think pulling the stub axel is really my only option at this point. I've been trying to find a guide/fsm pages on "how to" but no luck yet.

I've had this with a transmission that I bought. It was a mess. What I ended up doing was using an angle grinder and cut the axle away where the punch was stuck. When I got down to the spline on both sides of the axle, the punch, pin, and whatever else was stuck were only going through the spline.

At this point, all the tension sticking them in there was gone, and I just punched the stuck bits out, and the ground up axle came free. It's gonna suck to do in car, but you should have enough access from the bottom.

I've had this with a transmission that I bought. It was a mess. What I ended up doing was using an angle grinder and cut the axle away where the punch was stuck. When I got down to the spline on both sides of the axle, the punch, pin, and whatever else was stuck were only going through the spline.

At this point, all the tension sticking them in there was gone, and I just punched the stuck bits out, and the ground up axle came free. It's gonna suck to do in car, but you should have enough access from the bottom.

Ugh, I was really hoping I wouldn't have to do this :banghead:

Ugh, I was really hoping I wouldn't have to do this :banghead:

Maybe somebody will have a better idea... But, I ran through them all. And ended up just grinding everything. Just try not to bugger up the splines on the tranny too much, though.

Maybe somebody will have a better idea... But, I ran through them all. And ended up just grinding everything. Just try not to bugger up the splines on the tranny too much, though.

so its NOT possible to remove the stub without cracking the transmission open?

cold chisel/grinder/dremel to make the axle pin hole into a U instead of an O?

if you can remove the material on the transmission side of the axle you should be able to slide off the axle and leave the pins correct. with the axle gone it would give you an extra amount of material to grab.

if its soft enough I would try the chisel and hammer to just remove a tab of metal off the back of the axle. probably all case hardened, but might be worth the cost of the chisel if it gets it done before it wears out.

You could try that... It's gonna be wicked tight working in there, though.

The other thing is, diff bearing don't like a lot of love in the form of being hammered on.

so its NOT possible to remove the stub without cracking the transmission open?

Correct.

Yea, 5MT stubs are held in with a snapring on the inside. Don't think there's any way to get to them without opening up the transmission, which will be very hard with an axle cup stuck on the driver's side...

Looks like its new transmission time :( Anyone got a DR awd box?

+1

Just get your hands on some type of small circular saw/angle grinder and start cutting away. It's fun. You'll like it. =P

If you don't have one, use the money you'd put towards a new tranny ;)

:Flame: zzz

Edited by l75eya
Added a little face with a big saw.

Just take an hour and fix it. It's gonna be easier to fix that messup than it will be to swap transmissions.

well my big fear is that I'm gonna cut off the old axel and still not be able to get the stuff out. At which point I'm stuck having to drive my subie to work for a week in RWD while I get my hands on a transmission.

well my big fear is that I'm gonna cut off the old axel and still not be able to get the stuff out. At which point I'm stuck having to drive my subie to work for a week in RWD while I get my hands on a transmission.

Well if you grind it down to the stub, there will be no more pin holding the axle on.

The only thing stopping you at that point is if the splines are rusted stuck together.

If you're gonna swap transmissions, why not try first before giving up. If you're set on swapping, at least mess it up beyond hope before giving up.

Well if you grind it down to the stub, there will be no more pin holding the axle on.

The only thing stopping you at that point is if the splines are rusted stuck together.

If you're gonna swap transmissions, why not try first before giving up. If you're set on swapping, at least mess it up beyond hope before giving up.

I've got no doubt I can get the old axel off like this. My concern is being able to reinstall the new axel after. I'm all game for trying this I'd just like to have a trans in the garage just incase I'm not able to get the new axel in.

Rebuilding or at least resealing a transmission is on my list of things to try my hand at so "having a spare" transmission would just give me something to work on this summer.

Why can't you just drill it out with another bit?

The bit thats stuck in there is a Titanium nitride coated, I think it would be easier to do the trans swap then drill that out.

The bit thats stuck in there is a Titanium nitride coated, I think it would be easier to do the trans swap then drill that out.

Yea, a bit to drill that out would likely cost more than a new transmission....

• 2 weeks later...
:banghead::banghead::banghead: spent all afternoon with the angle grinder trying to cut this axel out. No luck apparently a 4.5 inch wheel isn't big enough, gonna get the sawzall out and give that a try. :drunk:zzz:drunk:

SUCCESS!:headbang::headbang:

2 grinder disks and a sawzall blade later and 'plink' the drill bit just falls right out.

tumblr_m74rzbBaeW1rwqoheo1_500.jpg

Now there is just the punch. I fashion me a good wacking system and get to pounding. Had to go and pick up a bigger hammer.

tumblr_m74s08I4I51rwqoheo1_500.jpg

VICTORY!:headbang::headbang:

tumblr_m74s0e8Q2g1rwqoheo1_500.jpg

the damn axel just came apart when i went to pull it out.

tumblr_m74sg9Isdz1rwqoheo1_500.jpg