Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am looking at buying another one (5 speed) which has 90000 miles on it. It is a 2006, the next generation from mine. unfortunately a dealer, but I cannot do much about that. Subarus are hard to find used.

Does anyone know if Subaru had fixed their HG idiocy by 2006 or is it still a problem?

What are some of the years safe to buy, so the engines last Like the old 2.2's used to?

I am not savvy enough to rebuild an engine, and I would hate to put another 1000s of dollars into this one, to get my engine rebuilt.

your best bet would be to buy a turbo 2.5 car then. the turbo motors arent prone to HG failure, have much more pep, and reliability than the non-turbos. my 05 baja is turbo and i love it. this 00 outback i just bought for my dad, so im going to put a 2.2 in it and save the future headaches.

The phase-II 2.2 uses the same style HG as the phase-II 2.5. They both suffer from the same external leakage due to failed HG coating. There is no appreciable difference in reliability as neither suffers from the fire-ring failure of the phase-I engines. There is NO compelling reason to prefer the 2.2 to the 2.5 in phase-II trim - less power and less common. That's the whole reason Subaru dropped that engine.

GD

The phase-II 2.2 uses the same style HG as the phase-II 2.5. They both suffer from the same external leakage due to failed HG coating. There is no appreciable difference in reliability as neither suffers from the fire-ring failure of the phase-I engines. There is NO compelling reason to prefer the 2.2 to the 2.5 in phase-II trim - less power and less common. That's the whole reason Subaru dropped that engine.

GD

hmmm, did not know that... my phase II 2.5 has the fire-ring failure, not the external leak... they do go bad that way, just not as common as the phase I did.

When rebuild any of the 2000+ engines, we use only the Subaru 642 turbo headgaskets. That solves the problem.

You might be trouble free for 100,000 miles, but eventually the original style of head gaskets for those engines is going to start to leak oil. When they do, have them replaced with the 642 style.

Emily

www.ccrengines.com