Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi all. I'm new to the forum here as my wife just picked up a 1993 Subaru Impreza SL wagon.

The car has 93k on it and is very clean. Only, I have a couple of questions:

1 - Is there a tranny filter on this car? It's an automatic... I haven't gotten underneath to try and find an external filter yet... The tranny is slipping a bit and I want to try all I can to cure it before I bring it to a transmission shop.

2 - Also, is there a website I can go to in order to view parts and illustrations for any Subaru?

3 - Lastly, where is the cheapest place to buy parts?

Thanks! and looking forward to the forum!

Dave

Welcome to USMB. Lots of good folks here to help with your inquiries. I can answer one question, there is no external auto tranny filter. You will find reference to an internal filter that is accessible only if you drop the tranny pan. I don't advise doing this. The filter turns out to be only a fine mesh screen to prevent metal particles from circulating throughout the tranny. Only once did I change the screen, when it did not need to be changed. The problem then arises in having to scrape off the old pan gasket, and installing a new one. You practically need a grinder to remove the old baked on gasket. Next, installing a new gasket without it leaking is really difficult. My best advise, is not to change that internal filter. No one, from what I have read, has ever found that screen filter to be clogged.

I would advise changing your tranny's ATF three times with 5 minute drive intervals between changes. There is a drain bolt on the tranny pan for ATF drainage. You need to do it three times, because only about half of the ATF can be drained from the tranny. The rest remains in the torque converter, and cannot be drained. The three changes requires a lot of fluid, but works out well. Changing out ATF may very well help your tranny perform better. You may want to add some Lucas AT additive to help reduce the slippage.

Hi all. I'm new to the forum here as my wife just picked up a 1993 Subaru Impreza SL wagon.

The car has 93k on it and is very clean. Only, I have a couple of questions:

1 - Is there a tranny filter on this car? It's an automatic... I haven't gotten underneath to try and find an external filter yet... The tranny is slipping a bit and I want to try all I can to cure it before I bring it to a transmission shop.

There is no filter inside or outside of the tranny. If it's slipping then it needs to be replaced. No amount of maintenance will cure that for any length of time that will be worth the effort. A used replacement will be the best value.

2 - Also, is there a website I can go to in order to view parts and illustrations for any Subaru?

http://opposedforces.com/parts/

3 - Lastly, where is the cheapest place to buy parts?

Cheapest does not always mean best - or even that they will work at all. You have to be careful what brands you choose to buy and for some things the dealer is the only viable option for a variety of reasons.

www.rockauto.com is a good general source with excellent prices.

www.subarupartsforyou.com has a useful catalog as it lists OEM part numbers.

GD

It can also have an incorrect fluid level. Check in park, engine running, after a short drive where you have used all the gears including reverse. Don't try a flush-if you have symptoms thats a bad idea. I have seen people unable to pull away from a shop after one because it washed all the clutch material out of the transmission. If the trans is perfect but missed a service or 2 then a flush can be done. Otherwise general maintenance is a 4 quart drain and fill every 15-30K per the service manual. I would bet it has original fluid in it. A shame since this trans should last 250K if serviced.

There could be a filter that was added but it would be in the engine compartment on the drivers side between the valve cover and the frame. Mostly legacys got this treatment but I have installed the kit to an Impreza before.

The filter add on kit is PN 31099AA091. It has the lines and the filter to add to the car for a filter. Otherwise the "filter" is in the trans pan and is not typically serviced unless the trans is going to be rebuilt. If its plugged, the clutch material and such in the trans is gone and it needs repair.

I typically add this kit to Outbacks after I do a 2.2L conversion-after the conversion there is room for the kit where there wasn't room with the 2.5.

I can order any part you need thru my shop and I know the junk from the good stuff. GD also lists good sources that are liked by people here.

Hi,

As stated do the flush/fill 3X to see if that helps and ensure it's Full. And try the Trans-X ATF stop leak.

BTW, the ATF is a PITA to check, and make sure you fill in small amounts once it starts to show on the dipstick, as it takes only 1 pint to from Low to Full, from what I've read.

For Subaru OEM prices, I recommend:

1: Jason Douglas

jdouglas@mikescarffsubaru.com

Mike Scarff Subaru of Auburn

3025 Auburn way north

Auburn, WA 98002

1-866-456-3025

253-737-1345

Tell him your from the Subaru forum for best pricing.

2. http://www.subarugenuineparts.com/

I read where Jamie is back. If she is, then this site also has good prices and service.

GL,

Td

Hey thanks for all the replies, links, and detailed descriptions. You guys rock! :headbang:

I guess the consensus is that replacing the transmission filter is a waste of time and money...

I'm going to drain 3X as suggested, add some Lucas, check levels and see how it goes.

Is a tranny swap difficult on these cars? I have a Haynes on the way...

Edited by MilkyCereal

Hey thanks for all the replies, links, and detailed descriptions. You guys rock! :headbang:

I guess the consensus is that replacing the transmission filter is a waste of time and money...

I'm going to drain 3X as suggested, add some Lucas, check levels and see how it goes.

Is a tranny swap difficult on these cars? I have a Haynes on the way...

Be aware that the tranny dip stick is hard to find. It is located on the driver side at the firewall, buried under wiring and hoses. The LOW to HIGH mark on the dip stick is only a pint quantity measurement of ATF, so it is very easy to over fill.