Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i want to paint my 85 brat how many gallons do i need

You probably be fine with a quart of primer as you only want to prime the bare metal and any repairs you have made, suchs as dynaglassing or fiberglassing rust and dents. Maybe three quarts of color and one quart of clear. Final coat mix half and half.

I vote for 0 gallons. That Brat has too much character.

Just get some rubbing compound and some good wax and an afternoon. Electric buffer works great.

You won't be happy if you spray it yourself...Ask me how I know.

i have done that to the hood before it doesnt work from the deep oxidation, so im going to put on my extra hood on(which is blue) and paint it on both sides plus the whole car, from the rust, scratches, and 6 different colors of paint on it i just want to paint the whole thing including door jams and a little under the hood. im going to take of the brat sticker:(but im going to eventually get it professorially painted on or buy one on ebay and get it professionally put on:headbang:

You probably be fine with a quart of primer as you only want to prime the bare metal and any repairs you have made, suchs as dynaglassing or fiberglassing rust and dents. Maybe three quarts of color and one quart of clear. Final coat mix half and half.

thanks i'll give it a try see how it turns out cant be any worse than it is now:headbang:

If you buy one gallon of single-stage paint, that will easily be enough to paint the car and have leftovers to save.

I would probably get a couple quarts of primer/sealer to lay down a full light 'base' coat of that on the roughed up surface before you start to spray your color, that will give you the best adhesion.

If you buy one gallon of single-stage paint, that will easily be enough to paint the car and have leftovers to save.

I would probably get a couple quarts of primer/sealer to lay down a full light 'base' coat of that on the roughed up surface before you start to spray your color, that will give you the best adhesion.

yah i was thinking of priming and painting the whole thing so i would by a gallon of both and a clear coat

It comes down to how good you are with the sprayer and how many coats you are going to do between sandings. If you make a lot of runs and have issues it could take a lot of paint. Practice on a fender or something and see how many it takes to do the fender, then do the math to know how much smaller the fender is than the rest of the brat.

It comes down to how good you are with the sprayer and how many coats you are going to do between sandings. If you make a lot of runs and have issues it could take a lot of paint. Practice on a fender or something and see how many it takes to do the fender, then do the math to know how much smaller the fender is than the rest of the brat.

i would practice on my extra fender and door that came off mine brat(have different ones on now) there beat up:horse: so i dont care what happens to them:grin: