Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Temp gauge increases with AC on going up passes

I took my 2005 Subaru Outback XT into the dealership the other day and brought this concern to their attention, among others things, and they said everything appeared to be ok. Well, I went up to the mountains again this weekend and as soon as I started climbing in elevation with the AC on, my temp guage climbed as well, until I would turn it off. Once turned off, it wouldn't climb anymore and as soon as there was a decrease in elevation (going down hill a bit), the temp guage would go back to normal. I also need to note that the smell of burning rubber comes with the increase in the car's temp guage. Does anyone know what this might be? Water pump, defective thermometer, radiator?

I have no clue and I hate that going into a auto repair shop not knowing.

Thanks

The smell isn't necessarily that much of an indicator as all sorts of things will burn off as things get a little hotter than normal.

As to overheating:

Are both fans coming on when it's running hot and A/C is on?

Is there any coolant loss in radiator or overflow (both need to be checked)?

If it's that predictable then first thought is it simply isn't able to dump all the heat which makes me think the fans aren't coming on or the radiator is clogged.

Does it only do it during the day time when it's hot outside or will it do it at night too?

Be advised that 05 4 cylinders have headgasket issues and any amount of running hotter than normal is not going to help your chances.

Water pump is highly unlikely.

I believe I do notice the fans turning on when going up the hill. I definitely hear/fell them when driving around town and idling. No coolant loss and reserve is at full level. I've ONLY noticed it when going over passes. Never before traveling, driving to work (30 miles mostly highway) all in 90+ degrees.

Love this Subaru, but maybe the XT is too touchy for the mountain trips. Temp guage just doesn't increase when driving normal.

I've ONLY noticed it when going over passes. Never before traveling, driving to work (30 miles mostly highway) all in 90+ degrees..
yep - radiator. radiatorbarn.com has great prices shipped right to your door, $89 shipped for the last 2000 EJ radiator I bought.

Love this Subaru, but maybe the XT is too touchy for the mountain trips.
no way, this shouldn't be a big deal at all. should handle mountains at 100 degrees, A/C on, and high humidity without thinking about it.

keep the temps down until you get it fixed.

Just the part or installation as well?

The radiator will run about $100 to $150 depending on your sources. Should also replace the hoses - get those from the dealer.

Installation is typically about one hour.

I do a fair number of radiators - usually it's about $300 with radiator, hoses, and labor.

GD

Check the area in front of the radiator for obstruction such as leaves, acorns, animal fur, etc. I've seen lots of cars where the area between the condenser and radiator gets full of sticks and leaves and blocks the airflow.

A proper coolant change and new thermostat (dealer only part) will probably help as well.

Thanks again everyone. Going to have it looked at tomorrow. There is also a burning rubber smell when I floor it going up the pass as well; even without having the AC on. They'll be checking that also of course. I Checked all the fluids, all look as they should, including the trans fluid being pink. Not sure if has ever been flushed. Will only drain when schedule is due. Coolant res is perfect as well. Interesting part though is after a tune-up, mostly changing the spark plugs I'm sure, my mileage has increased by 5 mpg, and that includes going up 2 passes and back. That at least put a grin on my face. I'll post what I find out.