Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96 Legacy Outback won't start unless you let it sit for a few hours.

I have a 96' Legacy Outback and once you turn it off after drving it for awhile it will not start again, until you let it sit for a few hours.

It turns over just fine, alternator, starter, all work great. I put a brand new fuel pump in, and it still does it.

It's like something is overheating and has to cool off before it will start again.

any ideas?

Those all seem to be working fine, there is a check engine light that is on, but I do not know what it is on for.

The car has plenty of cranking power, even in the middle of winter, the alternator, starter, ignition, all work great. it's a 2.5 liter, had fuel injection.

It just does not want to start agian after you turn it off from driving it, till it sits for awhile. It will crank just fine, it's like there is no fuel going to where it needs to. So i changed the fuel pump and it still does it.

It's almost seems like it is vapor locking, but I didn't think that could happen with fuel injection.

Have the check engine light read, lots of places do it free. Post the number like this: P0335

Those all seem to be working fine.
why do you think that? crank sensors can cause no start issues after shutting the car off when it's still warm. it'll crank over just fine but not fire correctly.

Coolant temperature sensor is another common problem area.

with a check engine light the obvious starting point is to read the code though. do that first and let us know what it is (sometimes there are multiples and one causes the other...so let us know what they all are).

it's unlikely to be fuel related in the fuel filter/fuel pump sense, common misconception.

Have the check engine light read, lots of places do it free. Post the number like this: P0335

why do you think that? crank sensors can cause no start issues after shutting the car off when it's still warm. it'll crank over just fine but not fire correctly.

Coolant temperature sensor is another common problem area.

with a check engine light the obvious starting point is to read the code though. do that first and let us know what it is (sometimes there are multiples and one causes the other...so let us know what they all are).

it's unlikely to be fuel related in the fuel filter/fuel pump sense, common misconception.

My vote is a bad sensor or coil pack, agree that this is unlikely fuel related. Pulling the code is the first thing I would recommend. The car is trying to tell you what is wrong with it.