Ultimate Subaru Message Board

95 legacy no cei, but has few weird problems

Hi ima new member here but not new to working on my 1995 subaru legacy L 2wd automatic. i love her but i cant get rid of this little group of problems. no matter what forums i go to nor what mechanic i see...

so i hope some one here has some helpfull incite

well when the car is cold first start in a while or of the day she runs strong but shifts just as strong a lil harsh if u ask me. then after she warms up she gets a little slugish.

also when warmed up, when taking off my speedo will fluctuate between 0 and 40 untill i hit 2nd or 3rd gear not 100% sure. and while slowing down to below 20 my speedo will fluctualte once again but will also shift into the corresponding gears. if i dont touch the gas and coast below 20mph i can feal it shift into all the different gears.

and finally when warm when i get on it she'll hesitate big time to wear i feal like my back breaks are locked up but they arnt. i was thinking maybe transmision bands and my front o2 sensor??

ill upload a video tomaro after work showing all the symptoms.

Jumpy speedometer is a loose connection or bad speed sensor. Fairly say to check wiring, easy to change with a short 17mm open end wrench.

Hesitation under load could just be old plugs and wires. When was the last time it got a tune up? Plugs wires filters?

Transmission fluid. Level correct? Clean red? Not burnt smell? When was the last time that was changed?

The 4eat has a tendancy to shift rough, not much you can do about it, thats just the way they are. But fluid changes can smooth it out some. It can be made worse by a bad speed sensor.

Also, welcome to the board! If you put a useful location in your profile, you may find there are other members of the board near you who can help in various ways.

thank you very much,

you dont think my transmission bands being too tight could cause the jumpy speedo? ive just been doing alot of research and that seamed the most plosible to me. but i have brand new ngk not sure how long ago the plugs were replaced.

new coil pack, new battery, alternator, just changed the oil pan gasket and oil and filter. i changed the trannys filter when i got it but have been changing fluid randomly testing different combonations. just normal wear and tear shavings on the magnet nothing serious and the fluid looks clean and smells good till this day.

and when i say shift rough i mean u stepp on it and itll whine to 5k then jump into nxt gear almost spinning the tires sometimes.

The VSS will wig out the tcu and cause funny shift points. It's gonna shift hard. My 96 sedan had torque bind and i removed the rear section of the driveshaft and it will light the front right tire up if I am on it shifting into second. I find it entertaining. :cool:

'95 may have a cable driven speedo.... I can't remember if that's the last year or if '94 was.... The jumping of the needle is then a mis-routed or kinked cable if that's the case. Could be a source of the problems with the transmission as the VSS is used by the TCU.

Sounds like your transmission just need to be replaced if the VSS signal doesn't fix it.... Hard shifting is not uncommon but if three drain/fill's doesn't cure it - then the tranny is on the way out and it's going to be cheapest to just swap it.

GD

that may be true, but i have never had a five speed leave me stranded you can almost always find a way to make it home. also if you have a low battery you can push start it :-p

i do have to say subaru makes a very good auto. but as for clutch maintenance it is cheaper to replace a clutch than to have to flush your atf every two years

I've never seen a Subaru auto strand a car either.

You don't flush them - you do a pan drain/fill every 30k which is one gallon of dexron - $15. Much cheaper than a clutch job. $45 per 100k vs. Clutch kit and labor....

Trust me - I do this all day every day at my shop. The auto is the better choice. It's also smarter and can transfer torque more effectively. You can lock then 50/50 with a duty-c mod, and the torque converter acts like a low range off-road.

I still *prefer* a manual - I like the sporty feel of it. But don't kid yourself - they are not the better transmission. Not even close.

GD

i think that differs on were we live you live in a big city yes an auto is better there. i live twenety miles from the closest town and i have seen clutches go farther than 100k before and also i have two 90 legacys at my house one stick one auto the stick gets better mileage. and my legacy in first gear is like having low range. another pro to a stick is also were i live alot of the time people burn out autos because it is not unusual to see three feet of snow over night (i live less than fifty miles from canada as the crow flies) and when you need to get through that a stick is far superior.

to tell you the truth my gl is a better winter car than my legacy for getting through the tough snow

Edited by mikaleda

i think that differs on were we live you live in a big city yes an auto is better there. i live twenety miles from the closest town and i have seen clutches go farther than 100k before

It really doesn't matter - clutch is an *added* expense that the auto doesn't have. They both have fluid and they should both be changed regularly so regardless of the mileage you get from a clutch - it's still an expense the 4EAT doesn't have.

and also i have two 90 legacys at my house one stick one auto the stick gets better mileage.

Marginal at best. Not enough of a reason to choose one over the other. The realistic difference in mileage is maybe 1 to 2 MPG. And on the freeway it's none at all. Gear ratio differences account for most of it not really the transmission type.

and my legacy in first gear is like having low range.

Not even close. You are kidding yourself if you beleive that.

another pro to a stick is also were i live alot of the time people burn out autos because it is not unusual to see three feet of snow over night (i live less than fifty miles from canada as the crow flies) and when you need to get through that a stick is far superior.

Incorrect again. Used properly the auto has superior traction control and can hold 2nd gear for less wheel slip. If you burn out the transmission in three feet of snow you are using it wrong.

to tell you the truth my gl is a better winter car than my legacy for getting through the tough snow

You obviously haven't ever lifted a Legacy or even driven a properly equipped outback with the right tires. The GL is not bad, but the Legacy is playing a whole different sport. You can think what you wish but I've been driving and working on Subaru's since you were about 8, I own a Subaru repair/performance shop, and I've owned all the models you have now and hundreds more. I do know what I'm talking about and I gaurantee that the 4EAT is an all-around better transmission than the 5MT.

I like the 5MT for what it is - and I don't even currently own an auto equipped Subaru except for a 2010 Forester because I enjoy driving a manual - but that doesn't mean I am willing to ignore the facts. Just because I own/like something is not a logical reason to call it the best. It's the best for me because I enjoy the driving experience more with a manual. But it's not the best from a purely functional point of veiw.

GD

whatever you want to think gd

i was just stating my OPINION.

i don't care how long you have been working on subarus but i have worked on all makes and models since i was eight i learned to drive at ten and i have seen winters you will never see where you live

i also don't have money to spend jacking up cars. i just barley make ends meet right now and just normal repair costs are killing me as it is. so no i haven't driven a nice decked out subaru and yes i agree the newer autos are good. i would still rather had a stick and so far the auto that i have has cost me more money than both of my stick shifts

Edited by mikaleda