Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1998 Forester 5MT

150,xxx + miles

Charcoal canister replaced

Shut valve replaced (little valve near top of filler neck)

Filler neck replaced (rusted enough to cause a problem soon)

If drain is plugged (removed from frame rail and rubber plug inserted.) system will build pressure to over 1.0" Hg.

My understanding is that the fuel tank pressure should cycle between .250" - .500" Hg when left to idle for a half an hour or so.

Watching the numbers, the pressure cycles, everything looks normal.

The memory has been cleared, 7 of the 8 OBD tests have self checked, Evap emissions still not "ready".

What steps need to be taken to get the computer to check itself off and now pass emissions? (Vehicle was originally tested with PO440 code, thus, evap must be "ready" with no evap codes)

Thanks all!

Lewis

You just have to drive it till the readiness monitor shows the ready state.

In OR you can pass with I think 2 readiness monitors incomplete on cars older than 2000. Are you saying that because of the P0440 code that they have on record (who took the car in with the CEL on?!? Automatic fail....) that they will not pass it without the EVAP monitor showing ready?

GD

I have a similar problem with our '97 Impreza. After doing some work toward resolving the P0440, I drove the car until nearly empty (about 150+ miles). Then I filled it to the brim and drove it some more. According to the shop manual the CEL doesn't check/reset until the tank is down to 9/16 empty. I continued to drive it and took it to emissions (WA state) and it passed. Fuel dropped to 1/2 and CEL came back. But I now have another two years to deal with it.

Edited by edrach

sorry if I'm late on giving my two cents...

do you ever get a fuel smell in the cabin of the car? I have an intermittent (every 6 months of so) p0440 and it's the purge solenoid valve under the intake manifold. it sometimes gets stuck and vents exhaust gas into the engine bay. it actually came on for the first time in like almost a year yesterday after replacing all four fuel injectors. turned off like 25 miles later. not replacing it until it totally poops out.