Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just had the head gaskets replaced on my 02 subaru 2.5 l [91,000 mi]. I had all the parts replaced: timing belt,tensioner, pulleys, seals, water pump, themostat etc.

I used theimportexperts for all parts except seals and thermostat. Cost $249. I substituted NPW for their std water pump. I used the six star gasket from AWD. Cost $122. Total parts cost including subaru seals and thermostat was $450.

An indy shop did the work. Time was 14 hr.

I hope it lasts!

14 hours eh?

That's a bit steep IMO. I'm at about 10 for a HG job typically. 3 to pull, 3 to install, and 4 for cleaning, dis-assembly, reassembly, etc.

Of course - I do this all day every day and I specialize in Subaru's....

I've used the NPW pumps and they are nicely built. Though I recently pulled a nice looking one from a Tercel that had a light weep-hole failure.... So far I like the Aisin pumps the best. Slightly more $ than the NPW's but they come with the factory metal gasket which is a $4 bonus.... that's about the price difference between the NPW and Aisin anyway so I figure it's a win.

Good luck with your new gaskets.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

I just had the head gaskets replaced on my 02 subaru 2.5 l [91,000 mi]. I had all the parts replaced: timing belt,tensioner, pulleys, seals, water pump, themostat etc.

I used theimportexperts for all parts except seals and thermostat. Cost $249. I substituted NPW for their std water pump. I used the six star gasket from AWD. Cost $122. Total parts cost including subaru seals and thermostat was $450.

An indy shop did the work. Time was 14 hr.

I hope it lasts!

Mikeec03,

I live on the North side of Indy. What Indy shop did the work? Recommend their work? Rooster 2 (Larry)

The extended warranty on the 2000-2002 subarus ended early in the 2002 model run. My subaru was manufactured in Feb, long after the extended warranty had passed. Subaru did offer $250 credit which was trivial compared to what the dealership wanted [$2600 in one case, $3500 in another].

Which brings up an interesting point. What did subaru do at the point they ended the extended warranty. It's hard to believe that they just added stop leak at that point but it's possible.

The old head gasket looked horribly by the way. The black coating was brittle and easily flaked off. I can't say whether it was graphite or viton.

i dont know what they did for sure, but i believe they had redesigned the gaskets. obviously that didnt work LOL. im actually going thru the same problem with my 00 ob sedan, but im thinking ill 2.2 swap it for the same price (maybe cheaper) than doing HGs on the 2.5. by the time you have the heads done, buy all new gaskets, t-belts, etc. im pretty sure itd be cheaper to swap in a 2.2 that should last forever. i found a low mileage 00 2.2 for mine, and a 2.5 with similar low mileage for about the same price at the junkyards. once i know for sure if the 2.2 works, ill jump on it. if not, ill gamble with a used 2.5. i bought it with bad HGs, and dont know how bad it was overheated before i got it. just picked it up yesterday.