Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I dont think I have ever put any in since new, it still works good but it needs a bump cooler. When I look at the round glass on the ac part it has a slightly foamy look not a clear liquid look. I called a shop and they made it sound very complicated and dangerous plus expensive. If anyone has ideas please, I would appreciate. thank you

Prolly a little low on refrigerant. I think your car still uses the R-12 refrigerant, which has been discontinued. Google "R-12 replacement" to source a drop in replacement can of refrigerant. It is an easy job to add a can of refrigerant, if not get a friend to help. Only takes about 10 minutes max of work.

The other approach is to go to an auto repair shop, and have the system refrigerant converted to R-134a. Cost about $150 to do this.

Prolly a little low on refrigerant. I think your car still uses the R-12 refrigerant, which has been discontinued. Google "R-12 replacement" to source a drop in replacement can of refrigerant. It is an easy job to add a can of refrigerant, if not get a friend to help. Only takes about 10 minutes max of work.

The other approach is to go to an auto repair shop, and have the system refrigerant converted to R-134a. Cost about $150 to do this.

Are you suggesting he adds the "drop in replacement" to the existing R-12 charge? That sounds like an excellent way to contaminate some R-12. Drop in means that an oil change isn't necessary not that you can mix the refrigerants.

Are you suggesting he adds the "drop in replacement" to the existing R-12 charge? That sounds like an excellent way to contaminate some R-12. Drop in means that an oil change isn't necessary not that you can mix the refrigerants.

Yea, don't think an oil change is necessary. I have never heard that a "drop in" is simply added to the system. They are made to work with R-12 type oil.

It's going to be cheaper overall to change over to the R134a. There are multiple ways to do it - you can buy the kits @ most auto parts stores...but is probably bad for the environment and illegal (if you don't have it evacuated @ a shop); and taking to a shop to convert may be more $$ than the car is worth.

Check CL for someone selling R12 - may get lucky.

GL,

Td

I was looking at a product Freeze 12 but its listed as a substitute or replacement so I guess mixing it is not good. Usually you would buy a can with the fitting/hose and no one sells both anymore and that makes it more confusing.

Hi,

***I found this LINK that states:

requires no system flushes or lubricant change. It works with the existing R-1 2 lubricant.

I read that as meaning it can be added to an existing system??

If you buy the whole replacement/retrofit kit it will have the fittings and hose.

They should also be avl. separately. IIRC, the R12 and R134a schrader valves are different sizes.....the kits may have both.

GL,

Td

Edited by wtdash

Hi,

***I found this LINK that states:

I read that as meaning it can be added to an existing system??

If you buy the whole replacement/retrofit kit it will have the fittings and hose.

They should also be avl. separately. IIRC, the R12 and R134a schrader valves are different sizes.....the kits may have both.

GL,

Td

Yes, that means just drop in the product into existing system. Do you have the hose to connect from the can to your low side A/C port?

No , I dont have a hose, the side can tap they sell does not look like it will work unless I use the refill upside down which I think is bad. I cant find anything locally on CL.

Maybe who will sell you cans of refrigerant on line, will sell you a hose as well.