Ultimate Subaru Message Board

88 dl, what does the green "T" elec conection next to fuel filter do?

My 88 dl shut down and I think it is the ignition coil but........

After replacing my clutch a few months ago I could not get my 4wd to engage or the blower to rotate, always comes out vent never defrost or heater. I looked under the hood and found two green "T" shaped male and female electrical plugs disconnected next to the fuel filter, so I connected them. This did not fix the 4wd or blower but I left them connected anyway. A day or so later my "check engine" light came on, started blinking a few days after that, then the car shut down. Because the engine was shut down but all the electric was still on I could hear the fuel pump actuating every 3 seconds (I don't actually know what it is doing) which stops when I disconnect the green connecter.

I do not have electrical section 6 Fuji Service Manual so I'm wondering what this connection does and if keeping connected shut the car down. It was running rough and I am not getting any spark so I'm thinking an unrelated coil.

Also any thoughts on the 4wd and blower problem?

i would start by unpluging the connector you mentioned and see what happens also you can test your coil with a multi meter . i can't remember how right off the top of my head but i'm sure someone will chime in that knows more than me lol

could also have something to do with alternator i had smiler problems in a legacy once

Edited by mikaleda

Thanks for the reply. I switched the ignition coil this morning and that did not help. I'll hunt down a meter today to test the old one, it was easier just to get a new coil and try to start her. Could leaving that connector plugged in for a week have fried something?

All that does is put the ECU into "d-check" mode for diagnostic purposes. It cannot damage anything. They should be disconnected for normal driving.

Check to see if your distributor is turning. You may have lost the drivers side timing belt. Check the screw that holds the rotor to the disty shaft also. If neither of those solve the problem and the coil, plugs, and wires check out then you may have a bad ignition amplifier on the coil bracket.

GD