Ultimate Subaru Message Board

trans pan have never seen thiss before

The trany pan in the buggy (uses a 92 legacy turbo trans) all the teflon coating seperated and got sucked into the fillter and pluged the fillter and smoked out the clutches has anyone ever seen thiss happen before is a new one for me the trans did get hot but you would think the teflon could hande heat it lost evry bitt of coating and sucked it all into fillter weridest thing iv'e seen thiss year

Some type of chemical/solvent contamination of the fluid. I have seen this on other things with similar coatings, but never on a transmission pan.

We used to use old 30 gallon oil drums at the dealership to store various fluids, usually gas pumped out to drop tanks for fuel pump replacement. We had a car come in not running and found the pump, filter, injectors, basically the entire fuel system corroded because of (what we later found out through fluid analysis) chlorine contamination. Bleach basically. Anyway, it Fd the entire fuel system in the car, and the gas we pumped out into the storage drum peeled the coating off of the inside in only about a day.

Some type of chemical/solvent contamination of the fluid. I have seen this on other things with similar coatings, but never on a transmission pan.

We used to use old 30 gallon oil drums at the dealership to store various fluids, usually gas pumped out to drop tanks for fuel pump replacement. We had a car come in not running and found the pump, filter, injectors, basically the entire fuel system corroded because of (what we later found out through fluid analysis) chlorine contamination. Bleach basically. Anyway, it Fd the entire fuel system in the car, and the gas we pumped out into the storage drum peeled the coating off of the inside in only about a day.

Holy crap! I hope the drums sit on a containment tray!

i think brake fluid or chemical reaction i had rebuilt the trans was just a core from pile when i took it apart the coating was ok but was more than 3 years ago and 4 engines and 6 race events was defanatly somting iv'e never seen the trans shure dident like it. Its good now shifts hard and has a 4000 high stall ( holy crap ) did that kick it in the pants my 4 piston toyota brakes cant hold it back hitts 3500 and drives past the brakes

Holy crap! I hope the drums sit on a containment tray!

Haha! Nope. It was stored (capped) in the corner of the shop when it wasn't in use. Most of the time it was empty, and the only thing it ever really got used for was pumping out fuel tanks. Usually gas or gas and diesel mixed. And most of the time one of the techs would empty it the next day to use in a tractor or farm truck. That time they had to hunt down an empty plastic barrel to store it in while we waited for a special hazardous waste truck to come pump it out. Then they found a new oil barrel and tossed the messed up one.

Doesnt chemistry kick butt! :lol: