Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Six Star replacement Head Gaskets

Subaruplatt posted this link recently..........it's a website for an independent Subaru shop in Seattle, WA

http://www.smart-service.com/blog/20...t-for-a-subaru

Click onto "Subaru Parts" topic. This link takes you to Six Star Head Gaskets. There are a lot of threads available to read about HGs. Anyone here using their HGs, and can testify regarding the quality of their head gaskets?

Edited by Rooster2
revising link

I haven't got anything to say about them other than they sure are expensive.

The solution for the SOHC 2.5's is to use the Subaru "642" gasket designed for the EJ255 and EJ257 turbo's. This increases the compression very slightly but they do not leak coolant and oil like the originals. The cost for a set of two from my dealer is $74.98. Given the availibity of this option, the known reputation of the 642, and the price, I would not consider the six-star gaskets for that application.

For the EJ25D.... I really can't see them being any better than OEM gaskets since their viton surface has nothing to do with fire-ring blow-out. Subaru redesigned the gasket for that engine 4 times and they still last about 100k give or take. The problem has to do with the engine design - too thick on the HG allowing the cylinder to creep and eventually wear out the gasket. No gasket of the original thickness has ever been shown to stop this.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

I agree with Ivan - I've done plenty of head gaskets - on the 25D's it's standard practice to deck the heads AND the block in my shop. I have yet to have a subsequent failure with my methods. Cleanliness, attention to detail, and flat gasket surfaces are the key.... though with the reputation of the 25D I always let people know that 100k miles is the expected life of the repair due to the design flaws of that engine. Frankly it's not that big of a deal - $1500 for a HG job twice in the realistic life of the engine amounts to $3000 for 300k miles of driving. Amortized over the life of the car that's an insignificant 1 cent per mile. Bonus if you do the timing belts at the same time. Best way to own a 25D is to just figure on doing them at 100k along with the belts which are due at that time anyway.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

I haven't heard of anyone running a 25D frankenmotor long enough to find out. Generally these are not daily drivers. I'll let everyone know if the one in the race Brat goes. It's running a '98 RS block with 90k on it - OEM 25D head gaskets.

The 251 frankenmotor shouldn't be affected by compression - and generally people use the 642 gasket which is for an STi and should be a walk in the park by comparison to what the 257 puts to it.

GD

Great to read all this info regarding HGs. I am still undecided on what to do with my 99 with failing HGs. The engine is not damaged from over heating.

UPDATE.........UPDATE........

Got a lead, and just now, I spoke with a guy that is a Subie tech at a local dealership, who will replace the HGs at his home garage for a low price. I will get him to do the work, and save some bucks.