Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What kinda turbo to get?? (03 WRX)

Not sure if this is the right section to post this, but i just bought an 03 WRX and it needs a new turbo(its leaking), it is already set up for a bigger turbo, so i prolly wont get a stock one. What would you guys recomend for around $150-250? Ive never had a turboed car or anything so im new to this.

Thanks

Evan

If it's setup for a larger turbo then you need to find out which one. You can't just slap a different one in and expect it to work with the cars tune. You need to get an exact replacement or have the car tuned for whichever one you settle on.

That said - VF-39's are cheap these days. That's probably what I would look for.

GD

A t3 or t4 would not be bolt on. Sounds like you have a bunch of research to do. If you put on a different turbo than what was on there, or different than stock, you also need to have it tuned. There is really a fair amount involved with all of this, so make sure you learn as much as you can about your car, and what it had/has.

1. Please clarify..

You stated:

turbo pipes xs bov pink injectors

Is that:

- turbo

-pipes (exhaust??)

- XS BOV

- Pink Injectors

Pink injectors are probably STi 565cc injectors, from an JDM STi (Called JDM since they were only avl. on Japanese Domestic Models). Even though WRX and STi's are built in Japan, cars have different components depending on where they are being sold - Japan, Australia, Europe, USA, etc.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

2.How do you know it's a bigger turbo?

Better off to buy a USED lower mileage TD04 from NASIOC or Ebay. GET A REAL SUBARU turbo - not a 'knock-off' or you'll likely be buying another one in less than 10K miles. Guess how I know???:banghead:

You MUST get a TD04 to be stock.You cannot just swap turbos and expect the car to run correctly,unless you use the exact same model of turbo that's currently installed.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

3. Also, if you do have something bigger on there now, it's VERY likely you'll need to get your ECU re-tuned. In other words, your ECU/Computer is setup to run the leaking turbo you have now, and will not run correctly w/a TD04.

Do you know what kind of tune is on the car? There are Cobb Accessport, Opensource, and other possibilities. And they'll all cost money to tune, unless you have the knowledge to learn how to use RomRaider and flash (tune) it yourself.

Do you know the previous owner??? Where did you buy the car??? IF you knew who/what/where/how/etc it'll save you a LOT of grief figuring out the tune on the car.

GL,

Td

Edited by wtdash

Replace the turbo with a stock one, possibly even replace the injectors with stock, as they might be too much for the small turbo, and then GET A TUNE! If it has a bad tune, or no tune at all with that aftermarket stuff, you are asking for your motor to die.

The car must have a tune to run the Pink injectors - 565cc vs 440cc stockers.

I'd agree on getting another stock TD04 and run it....that's actually good news in that you don't need more tuning. IF it indeed has the stock turbo......

BUT I'm not sure why they'd put Pinks and Cobb exhaust w/out a bigger turbo???:confused:

Cobb 3" exhaust
- Is that include a Cobb downpipe? There's the Turbo>>Downpipe>>Mid-pipe>>Axle-back>>Muffler. A 3" TBE (turbo-back exhaust) could include an aftermarket bell mouth downpipe (with or w/out catalytic converter).

I'd guess it does have the Cobb DP (downpipe) based on the other mods.....

Td

Edited by wtdash