Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New here, got some questions

So I recently purchased a 1987 gl with an EA82 that had a recent weber swap on it. The shop that did it apparently wasnt a subaru shop. They left a lot of hoses just hanging out. So I brought it to a pretty reputable place and they did what they could do. Now it diesels, and it diesels hard enough to push smoke out of the top of the carb. The mechanic told me to just run it and burn the carbon off, but I'm skeptical since it wasnt this bad before I brought it to him. It diesels every time now, and hard. He kicked the timing down and I feel it should be kicked up if any.

I would love to get this engine purring like it should be. Any help for an ex VW aircooled guy would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and I will try and post a pic or two of the engine compartment.

Edited by earthnsurf

They didn't know what they were doing. The PCV is not correct that way and the dieseling can be brought under control easily if you know how to tune a carb. Timing advance can help - also need to properly adjust the fuel mixture and idle speed.

If you ever get down to Portland drop by my shop and I can correct all that easily.

GD

Thanks for the reply. Probably won't be in Portland anytime soon, but I appreciate the offer.

I just checked the timing with hose off the dizzy and I'm at about 11. Idle is at 700-800. I'm not too familier with the air screw so I didn't mess with that. Am I doing damage with the way the hoses are routed? Thanks

Know anyone local?

My weber likes to run with the timing at almost 20 degrees, So I'd definitley advance it.

near the bottom of this thread http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=74206 you can find the correct routing for the PCV system.

and at this thread http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=21562&highlight=jets you can find the correct method for tuning your Weber, which should stop the dieseling.

So I have gotten a few steps forward on the subaru.

Heres what I've done:

Reconfigured hoses (pas. side head to filter, drivers side head T'd to pcv and 3/8 hose to filter);

Retimed to 20 degrees, adjusted afm and idle to spec (afm screw about 2.25 turns out, idle at 800);

Idle was super rough and figured out it was the egr stuck open, so I disconnected it by capping off the port on the manifold (is that enough) smoothed right out, but the idle screw needs to be backed almost all the way out to get it to 800;

Now the dieseling is very intermittent instead of constant;

Everything is great now, except for intermittent dieseling, but one thing. Now that the car runs quieter, I can here a slight knocking sound coming from the engine at idle. Could I be a tooth off when i put the dizzy back in? Is that sound pre-ignition or rod knock? The engine has maybe 10-15 thousand miles since rebuild. The guy before me had purchased the car from a local subaru rebuild shop.

Thanks for the help folks.

EGR shouldn't have been hooked to the manifold in the first place - it should be connected to "late-ported" vacuum on the front of the carb - it's the one probably blocked with a small brass screw..... obviously whoever installed the carb didn't know what they were doing.

If it's running too fast at idle make sure the mixture isn't too rich/lean for the idle speed and make sure the choke is fully pulled off before you set the idle.

20 degree's of advance is really too much - that's probably why your idle speed is high... should be about 10 to 12.

GD