Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I found a really good deal on an 04 wrx clutch. Unfortunately, the car it is intended for (xt6) has a cable actuated clutch (if I'm saying that correctly) .

So the question.

can such a conversion be done(cable-->hydraulic)? And is it worth it? What would I need to go through with this?

The WRX clutch is a pull type pressure plate, the throwout bearing clips into the fingers of the pressure plate and pulls on them to release the clutch.

The xt6 is a push type pressure plate, the throwout bearing rests against the fingers and pushes into them to release the clutch.

It's not an issue of cable vs hydro, it the completely different release design. The only parts of the clutch you could use are the pilot bearing and the clutch disk.

You can swap to a turbo pull type transmission if you want, but that negates the savings of getting a good deal on the clutch.

so there's no way to use the WRX clutch with a cable set up?

Not with any parts that Subaru has ever made.

what benefit does the hydraulic clutch have over cable. the slave cylinder and hose failures have deterred me from wanting one.

The clutch can be stronger and the fork lower profile.... and with the pull type a cable would be a mess to implement.

The failures you talk about are not seen on the turbo version.

GD

Easily. There is essentially no difference between any of the turbo 5mt transmissions from 89 to '04 or so. The 22T transmission has the same components as a JDM 276 HP EJ20 tranny of the same era and the turbo engines make a lot more torque than the EZ30 and there's tons of people making a lot more than an extra 49 HP on the 22T. It's not hard to get to 275 - many folks are at or over 300. Remember - the EZ30 is a station wagon engine...... You can't do stupid things like 4 wheel burn outs because they weren't designed for that. Otherwise they are quite strong. The early WRX transmissions got a bad rep because of how silly Americans drove them. Too much grip - you are supposed to use that to go, not to chew up tires.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

The template you made, was that to change the vehicle from auto to manual?

No sir,

The wrx pedal box as the ea82 pedal box mounts to the brake booster mounting studs inside the car ( exact same bolt pattern ) and the template as crude as it looks was layed out with the wrx pedal box and clutch master cyl mount bracket on the pedal box. I then from inside the car put the template on the brake booster mounting studs and pilot drilled the clutch master cyl holes from inside the car with an 1/8th inch drill bit, then finished drilling the holes for the clutch master cyl from under the hood. IIRC the hole for the clutch master cyl body was about 5/8 or 3/4 inch in diameter done with a step drill, or unibit...works out sweet!

My wagon was an auto but it doesnt matter as far as using your ea82 acc pedal portion of your original pedal box, just cut it off as shown in the pics. I used a 4" angle grinder but a hacksaw would do the job just as well.

I bought my wrx pedal box off of NASIOC from a guy parting an '07 wagon IIRC

Don't know where you got that info - it's the other way around and the year is completely off. Somewhere in the mid 2000's ('05 maybe for the EJ255?) Subaru switched from pull-type to push-type on the WRX, OB XT, Forester XT, etc. The 6 speed remains pull-type to this day. Thus you cannot use ANY non-turbo transmission with a pull-type clutch and you cannot use many of the later model turbo 5 speed's either.

GD