Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2010 Forester, 30K dealer service

A friend has a 2010 Forester due for 30K dealer service. Yea, I don't fault the dealer for wanting to service a customer's Subie, but at an expense of $629.95, I question the value for servicing provided.

I can understanding the need to:

changing the oil/filter

rotate and balance tires

However, I question that the spark plugs need changing at 30K miles. Don't plugs last longer then 30K miles?

Fuel filter should last more then 30K miles?

Replace cabin air filter.......well maybe??

The rest of the list is mostly "fluff" check & inspect work.......... check and top off all fluid levels, inspecting brakes, lubing body hinges, replace cabin air filter, test charging system, and perform Multi-point Inspection, (whatever that is.)

I am thinking all car companies offer this service through their dealers, at prolly the same cost. It just seems way over priced to me. Any thoughts??

"Services" are a poor value but do keep the car maintained. They make a lot of money on services. If you don't mind paying a super high price for little service to be done with it, then that's fine. If you don't mind a little effort to save some bucks, then you can do that too.

The best thing to do is simply pay for what you need and avoid the service packages, they are inflated.

At 30k I wouldn't be replacing anything except oil and air filter.

Don't get services that include them, but rather pay for what you need: Go in at 60,000 miles and say: I want spark plugs, trans fluid, fuel filter, and PCV valve changed. Etc...that was just as an example.

She can continue to ask friends or here and figure out what she needs, but she won't need any maintenance really until 60k at which time I would do the trans fluid, spark plugs (if recommended, not sure if those are 100,000 mile plugs like the H6?), PCV valve.

"Services" are a poor value but do keep the car maintained. They make a lot of money on services. If you don't mind paying a super high price for little service to be done with it, then that's fine. If you don't mind a little effort to save some bucks, then you can do that too.

The best thing to do is simply pay for what you need and avoid the service packages, they are inflated.

At 30k I wouldn't be replacing anything except oil and air filter.

Don't get services that include them, but rather pay for what you need: Go in at 60,000 miles and say: I want spark plugs, trans fluid, fuel filter, and PCV valve changed. Etc...that was just as an example.

She can continue to ask friends or here and figure out what she needs, but she won't need any maintenance really until 60k at which time I would do the trans fluid, spark plugs (if recommended, not sure if those are 100,000 mile plugs like the H6?), PCV valve.

Thanks Grossgary, pretty much what I was thinking. 30K miles is too soon to be replacing spark plugs, etc. I think I will change her oil/filter, get the tires balanced & rotated, and add a can of Techron to the gas tank, and call it a day!

I would change the fuel filter personally. Our gas sucks and really I change mine about every 25-30k. Use wix fuel and oil filters or purolator pure one, napa gold. those are made by wix and share the same quality. Avoid fram and most store brands like the plague.

Personally I like a drain/fill of the tranny every 30k. Good cheap insurance. And if it's my car I'm going to change the gear oils just to do a check for metal - when there's a warranty to consider I want samples of all fluids on a clean white fluid sample paper so I can visually check for metal and catch major component failures before they aren't going to pay for it. I recently changed an automatic transmission in an '04 OBS with 120k on it due to pinion shaft bearing failure. Completely full on fluid - just ate itself.

Plugs can go 60k.

Air filter and Cabin filter may want changed depending on driving conditions.

GD

I sell services here in my shop. Most people that need them do nothing themselves. They are cheaper than piecing out each item and thats why they are offered the way they are.

A 30K is a 4 hour service. Its a deal if you haven't done everything yet.

There is no fuel filter on a 2010-its in the tank technically.

Included usually:

Rotate and balance tires, check tire pressure

Air filter

Oil change

Cabin air filter

Battery test, clean posts, battery pads added

Rear diff

Front diff

ATF

(or gear oil in trans if its manual)

fuel treatment (I use BG can)

Brake and suspension check

Brake fluid flush

Clutch fluid replacement

Coolant replacement (many 2010 models have the blue 105K fluid).

It adds up in a hurry to buy them separate. It also pays to know the car and make them remove items from the list and subsequently the costs associated with them, if items aren't on the car (like fuel filter, antifreeze change, etc) above. Then the price should drop if the dealer is fair.

Usually the tech will find something wrong with the car on a 30 K service that is covered under warranty too.

I sell services here in my shop. Most people that need them do nothing themselves. They are cheaper than piecing out each item and thats why they are offered the way they are.

A 30K is a 4 hour service. Its a deal if you haven't done everything yet.

There is no fuel filter on a 2010-its in the tank technically.

Included usually:

Rotate and balance tires, check tire pressure

Air filter

Oil change

Cabin air filter

Battery test, clean posts, battery pads added

Rear diff

Front diff

ATF

(or gear oil in trans if its manual)

fuel treatment (I use BG can)

Brake and suspension check

Brake fluid flush

Clutch fluid replacement

Coolant replacement (many 2010 models have the blue 105K fluid).

It adds up in a hurry to buy them separate. It also pays to know the car and make them remove items from the list and subsequently the costs associated with them, if items aren't on the car (like fuel filter, antifreeze change, etc) above. Then the price should drop if the dealer is fair.

Usually the tech will find something wrong with the car on a 30 K service that is covered under warranty too.

Good advise...........Thanks!

Spark plugs don't need to be replaced at 30K unless it's a turbo engine, but it certainly won't hurt to replace them.

Fluid service is the main thing at 30k.

Oil, ATF, trans gear oil, differentials, brake fluid, clutch fluid, etc.[/quote

By "Fluid Service," do you mean simply checking the fluid levels??

Spark plugs don't need to be replaced at 30K unless it's a turbo engine, but it certainly won't hurt to replace them.

Fluid service is the main thing at 30k.

Oil, ATF, trans gear oil, differentials, brake fluid, clutch fluid, etc.

By "Fluid Service," do you mean simply checking the fluid levels??

No no. Fluid service means it gets changed.

Brake/clutch fluid is only good for 2 years.

Gear oils (Diffs, MT) should really be changed earlier (10k) to remove particles in the oil from break-in and prevent excess wear on the differentials. 30k IMO should be the second gear oil change.

Coolant has a limited lifespan, even though the new stuff is supposed to be good for 100k miles, it still breaks down along the way. Especially if the level has ever been low, which happens more often than you might think on new cars.

ATF condition is a major factor in transmission longevity. This really should be changed earlier as well, but 30k is about the most you should expect from ATF in everyday driving conditions.

Edited by Fairtax4me

Gear oils (Diffs, MT) should really be changed earlier (10k) to remove particles in the oil from break-in and prevent excess wear on the differentials. 30k IMO should be the second gear oil change.

Ditto. Ditto. Ditto.

I once worked on research into the expected lifespan of gears.

Keeping the oil clean, especially during the early stages, is crucial to the longevity of gears.