Ultimate Subaru Message Board

would center hole on wheel being too large cause a problem?

Hey everyone. A friend of mine attempted to put 2003 WRX wheels on a Volkswagen and the center hole was too small. He ground it would with a dremel tool about 1/16" in diameter bigger, squeezed them on, and then they ended up hitting the shocks. My sister-in-law is in desperate need of some wheels/tires on a budget for her 1993 legacy sedan and I was offered these wheels for $75.00. Cosmetically they are perfect but yeah, he ground them out on the back side.

Would this cause a problem at all when installing them on the Legacy? I figure the bolt holes really keep them in place but I just want to make sure it won't be a safety issue.

Thanks for your help.

I have my snow-tires mounted on steel rims.

The rims are supposedly for Subarus, but the centre hole is too large, so there is clearance to the hub.

I have run these rims for about 10 years, without any problems whatsoever.

PS I make sure to tighten the 5 wheel-nuts 'gently', alternating 1-3-5-2-4-1 etc., so as to make sure that the rim is centered correctly before the final torqueing-up.

You might want to consider "hub centric rings" to hold the wheels on center. I just googled it and came up with this for example:

http://www.justforwheels.com/hub-centric-rings.jsp

My wife's Maxima has them to position the alloy wheels and believe me, if one ring gets lost the car is virtually undrivable. (Ask me how I know. Just don't ask me why I ever went to Sam's Club for tires in the first place!)

Thanks guys for all the advice, awesome as usual.

I couldn't pass these up for $75.00 so I'll just see how it works out. If there is any bounciness in the ride, I'll just take her car in to get the tires rebalanced. They are Les Schwab tires so it would be free anyways. I'll check out that centric rings if worse comes to worst. Still would be less than getting new steelies.