Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rain guards/visors/wind deflectors?

Are there any of those rain guard type things from another vehicle that will fit the GL/Loyale wagon doors? It would be nice to roll with my windows cracked when it's wet out, seeing as my a/c is still inoperative.

*disregard* found some answers after trolling around. in short, no.

Edited by SmashedGlass

AWESOME question, man!!

i always wondered that. it seems like those rain guards are specifically designed and IDEAL for people who push their cars into rough weather, storms, snowy, wet, soggy drippy conditions.

WHO DOES THAT?? 80s SUBARU owners!! duhhhh.....

i speak for myself in my 1983 brat. but i assume the majority of you do the same. i dont offroad as hard as many of you guys, but still, i do a lot more than pick up Lattes at starbucks, or hairspray and little debbie snacks at walmart.

i have rainguards on my 2009 tacoma prerunner. they are great. 65mph, in pouring rain, and i can still open my windows a few inches, to get some fresh air. why not??

i think we need to get together and PUSH PUSH PUSH one of these companys to make a rainguard for the DL/GL series. sorry 1980 and older guys, but we gotta start somewhere, and 82-89 subarus are a very large, and loyal market.

I've never been a fan of rain guards and whatnot. But then again, I've never actually tried them. I think they'd worth a try and see. I'd see the pros in opening the windows when it's raining. In my Loyale, when it rains, the windows do tend to fog up (especially with two people in the car). The defog kinda works, but makes the car idle at ~1800 RPM. Opening the window(s) is the best option, but the rain can be annoying. But I generally don't like the looks of rain guards. Plus I'd need to open the windows past their effective range to defog the windows. However, I'd be interested in the rear spoiler/visor/wind deflector (on the Soobie on the right in the picture; mine, on the left, looks a bit different since the picture was taken :-p ). I think that looks pretty good, especially with the roof rack that I don't have.

458221_3588447881782_1397063306_o.jpg

As I took a second glance at this photo, I think I see something. Is it just me, or is my Loyale taller, wider, and longer than that GL? Is the Loyale a bit larger than late '80s GLs?

Edited by jj421

its just forced perspective on the pic. The gray car is a little forward and angled so it doesnt look right. Might be taller though, suspension wears and sags sometimes.

the problem with the weatherguards is that there is no upper door sill to attach them too. they make 2 types, ones that sit in the window sill and ones that glue on. you may be able to get some glue on ones in there, but you would have to roll down the window to open the door or you would rip them off.

the problem with the weatherguards is that there is no upper door sill to attach them too. they make 2 types, ones that sit in the window sill and ones that glue on. you may be able to get some glue on ones in there, but you would have to roll down the window to open the door or you would rip them off.

They make rainguards specifically for cars without window frames. There's JUST enough clearance so that the window doesn't hit them. They made them for Legacies, I don't see why they couldn't be made for Loyales/GLs too. Google search Subaru rain guard and you'll see some.

We had stick-on rain gaurds on our GD #171 Rally Car as the Lexan windows we made for that car didn't seal very well. Absolutely no problems clearing the tops of the windows when the doors were opened.

If they are installed correctly, they will clear just fine, but it will probably take some trial and error to get there. Also, I don't know how much room there will be to mount the driver's side one with the radio antenna where it is.

That said, most auto parts stores sell stick-on visors like that. Get some measurements, and walk in with a tape measure and see what might work.

Thanks for the tip Numbchux, I'll check into that. The main concern, for me, is that I like to leave my windows slightly cracked to help alleviate heat build up during the day while it's parked; problem is I'm not always home to run out and roll up those windows when a shower rolls through town.... ergo, wet interior lol.

jj421, those spoilers are a dime a dozen down here in Colorado in the local pick'n'pulls.

jj421, those spoilers are a dime a dozen down here in Colorado in the local pick'n'pulls.

Yeah, I'm going to the Pick-N-Pull either tomorrow or the next day; probably tomorrow. I'll see about finding one, but I bet they'll all be taken or there are none. I'll see. Hopefully I can also get a purge solenoid, two trunk shocks (I think that's what they're called), and some good cone/spring washers.

hatch struts.

as for the 'spoiler', they're usually there. at least they are here, not alot of people want them.

Hmm, I'll see. Last time I was there, I don't think any of the Subarus that were there had a "spoiler." But then again, that was a couple months ago. But then again, based on their website, they have only gotten one more Subaru Loyale in since. I'll see tomorrow.