Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ok, I hate the older subaru turbo cars with a passion, so I've avoided working on them all together for the past 10 years. I know the manual uses a different clutch/throwout bearing setup than the N/A manuals. My question is, what is the differences between a N/A 4EAT and a forced induction 4EAT? Or are they the same?

Reason why I'm asking is a buddy locked up his 4eat in his 91 EJ22T and I happen to have a spare 4.44 98 forester trans/rear diff @ my work. I dont see anything being an issue, since I installed one in my 91 SVX and its held up good but I decided I better ask the pros before I start doing the swap.

We planned on using the TQ out of the forester trans, it appears to be the small TQ thats in it (rebuild trans done at Subaru in 04, everything was replaced)

Is this swap gonna work? or am I missing something

thanks

Hi,

Always curious about these New>>>Old 4EAT swaps.

What TCU are you using on your SVX?

The 2 trans connectors must be the same, but I've read the wiring is different.

If the '98>>>'91 works let us know one way or another.

Thanks,

Td

You might have some problems with codes as one trans is OBD1, and the other ODB2. So some of the sensors might not work at all, because they are not there. ODB2 also ties the ECU and the TCU together more. But I don't think it will prevent it from actually running, but you might get some interesting codes, probably coming more from the trans than anything... In fact you might not be able to see the codes at all or diagnosis it, since you probably won't have the ODB2 connector either, and I don't know if the "AT TEMP" light (or equivalent) with the newer cars.

IDK, just throwing out some possible issues you might have from my reading that I have done.

Report back if this work, as it will be good to know! Opens up some options for us folks owning the older cars.

not a single problem on my SVX. 98 Forester 4.44 4EAT, used the converter from the SVX so I had the high stall converter and used the SVX TCU. Actually shifts harder from 1-2 shift than the 3.54 trans did. Still has the 2-3 delay and the 3-4 delay, but you cant really get rid of that without installing a Quick change, or running with the resistor pack disconnected.

And its "technically" not a new >>> Old swap because its still the Phase 1 4EAT in the 98 forester. 99 went to the Phase 2. As far as I know, you cant swap the Phase 1 and Phase 2 (someone on the board may have done it, but I imagine it was a wiring harness/tcu swap involved along with a longer drive line)

Btw car has 20k miles on it since the swap and I'd never roll with any 4EAT unless its a 4.44