Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96 OBW progress. EGR, 02 codes, and frayed ECU wire?

So I'm continuing work on the 96 OBW 2.5 4EAT. Got my 12v plug wired up and it works great, got some vice grips and new bolts for my little caliper problem, and then I'll be moving onto my CEL codes.

I have:

P0400: Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow

P0135: O2 Sensor Heater Circuit (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

P0141: O2 Sensor Heater Circuit (Bank 1 Sensor 2)

EGR system itself seems to be fine, the hoses and valve are undamaged and hold vacuum, but i've heard the 02 sensors may effect how the ECU determines if the EGR system is working properly. So whatever is causing the P0135 and P0141 could potentially be setting off the P0400?

I'll be getting in there tomorrow to check for problems with the wiring from the 02 sensors, but other than that and the sensors themselves needing replacement, is there anything else I should be looking for? Wondering about the likelihood that both sensors are bad.

Also (and probably totally unrelated) I noticed a frayed wire coming from my ECU. Looking at the pinout it seems to be the camshaft position sensor. Wondering what that would effect.

Ah, and my headlight issue. I'm about to search for some threads now about it, but i've noticed the wires that go to the headlights were cut and about 3 inches of black wire (so who knows if they are even on the right contacts) spliced to them. Nothing leads anywhere it shouldn't, so maybe it was a headlight mod that was removed after and re-wired incorrectly?

Basically I can flash the high beams, but they won't stay on. Also, one light or the other will randomly turn off (tapping on the light or slamming the hood turns it back on) and sometimes the high beam indicator light comes on when low beams are on. O.o

Also I've found what appears to be a 3 prong power outlet sticking out from under where the battery sits. I'm almost scared to touch anything. Haha.

But after all that, some new side mirrors and some body work, it should be good to go. Not including the re-seal that the engine clearly needs, as it seams to be slowly leaking from... well everywhere it seams. Transmission pan has a slow leak as well but that's easy.

Replace the O2's. Probably both just have bad heaters. It happens.

The EGR flow code is likely the BPV - Back Pressure Transducer Valve. It's that thing on the driver's side rear of the manifold above the EGR with all the hoses going into it.

Frayed wire for the ECU probably isn't. You are most likely seeing strands of the wire shielding. It's shielded wire to prevent signal interferance. No code and the engine runs which would not be the case if there was a problem with the cam sensor signal wire.

Outlet plug is a block heater or battery blanket.

No clue on your lights. Probably some idiot installed HID's or some other such nonsense. Pictures might help or might not.

GD

Ah, and my headlight issue. I'm about to search for some threads now about it, but i've noticed the wires that go to the headlights were cut and about 3 inches of black wire (so who knows if they are even on the right contacts) spliced to them. Nothing leads anywhere it shouldn't, so maybe it was a headlight mod that was removed after and re-wired incorrectly?

What GD said. Or possibly the connectors melted (high resistance/ poor contact creates quite a bit of heat. pretty common issue) and they had to be replaced.