Ultimate Subaru Message Board

stupid deq!!

my 84 gl wagon wont pass deq. it has an exhaust leak, easy enough. the o2 sensor, however, is in place in the catalytic converter but the wire just comes up and is tied to some wires and not plugged into anything. the plug is just hanging. does anyone know where i should start looking for the harness that the o2 sensor plugs into????

It's probably a Cali model feedback system. The O2 sensor isn't going to help. If you have all the feedback emissions stuff still hooked up to the carb, it would be best to cull all of it and tune the carb without it. It's undoubtedly not functioning correctly anymore and you can pass deq without all that stuff.

Might be a replacement used y-pipe that has an O2 not used by the car.

Check for an ECU under the steering column. Could be a feedback computer carb. They put those in quite a few '82 to '86s.

If you want to pass - get the gas tank down to about 4-5 gallons and put in two gallons of denatured alcohol. It will pass.

GD

something doesn't sound right, an 84 with an o2 sensor? that should be a carberated motor, sounds like someone replaced the cat with a newer one.

You really need to stop commenting on things you have no clue about. Your posts are uninformed and often misleading. Please refrain from speculation when you haven't the proper knowledge or experience to KNOW what you are talking about.

GD

You really need to stop commenting on things you have no clue about. Your posts are uninformed and often misleading. Please refrain from speculation when you haven't the proper knowledge or experience to KNOW what you are talking about.

GD

really? do we really need to go through this again gd? as i have said several times I AM STATING MY OPINION! i have worked on 84 gls before and have never seen one with o2 sensor before.

really? do we really need to go through this again gd? as i have said several times I AM STATING MY OPINION! i have worked on 84 gls before and have never seen one with o2 sensor before.

Yes we need to go through it again. You are not helping people - your input is often wrong and uninformed.

You are not stating opinion. You are misleading the OP by telling him in no uncertain terms that his y-pipe is not original and his car should not have an O2 sensor.

This is WRONG. It is not an opinion. It is FACT.

You haven't the experience or knowledge to be commenting on this. You have worked on a few 84's perhaps... I've worked on hundereds. If you don't know and have never seen it then pipe down.

GD

You are not stating opinion. You are misleading the OP by telling him in no uncertain terms that his y-pipe is not original and his car should not have an O2 sensor.

This is WRONG. It is not an opinion. It is FACT.

You haven't the experience or knowledge to be commenting on this. You have worked on a few 84's perhaps... I've worked on hundereds. If you don't know and have never seen it then pipe down.

GD

i never stated what i said was fact i am only relating my personal experiance just like everyone else on the forum does gd. and i am sick of you telling me that i know nothing.

i never stated what i said was fact i am only relating my personal experiance just like everyone else on the forum does gd. and i am sick of you telling me that i know nothing.

Get used to it or leave. I'll do it every time. Can't have you mis-informing people that need to accurately diagnose and repair their car. This forum is a tool and you are putting out useless and misleading information. If you don't like the way I treat you here then stop being that guy and stop posting useless information. Read more, talk less.

GD

Get used to it or leave. I'll do it every time. Can't have you mis-informing people that need to accurately diagnose and repair their car. This forum is a tool and you are putting out useless and misleading information. If you don't like the way I treat you here then stop being that guy and stop posting useless information. Read more, talk less.

GD

f you gd. i have never claimed to be a know it all (unlike you) i just say my opinion and they can take as they want, and by the way i have had help from lots of help from new users that was incorrect it doesn't mean they know nothing or they are trying to mislead anyone they just want to help. and if i was doing something so wrong you would think one of the moderators of the site would have said something to me by now, so far YOU are the ONLY one that has said ANYTHING to me.

something doesn't sound right, an 84 with an o2 sensor? that should be a carberated motor, sounds like someone replaced the cat with a newer one.

Might be a replacement used y-pipe that has an O2 not used by the car.

Sounds like you guys are saying the same thing. Possibly not an original Y-pipe. O2 may not be needed.

Except that Mikaleda was unaware that there were some carbed cars equipped with O2 sensors. In fact all 2wd and Cali model 4wd all had them.

The thing to ask the OP, is whether the car is 2wd or 4wd, and possibly Cali model? Before his thread gets closed because of bickering :rolleyes:

when i want to help i usually leave a disclaimer in there like 'in my experience' or 'iirc' or invite others to correct me. im here to learn. also to help. bickering doesnt help any more than not acceptig the possiblity that you could be incorrect. opinions should be voiced in an acceptable format, not when someoone is lookig for answers. if one of somebodys 'opinions' led me to mess my car up, i would be upset. ............

I have handled the situation here. Closing the thread. Further questions from the original poster=please start a new thread. I would recommend doing a search for feedback carb, there are many posts asking how to tell if you have one. Start there and if you do that means you are supposed to have an 02 sensor. If you don't have a feedback carb, remove the 02 sensor, put an oil drain plug or similar in its place to plug the hole and DEQ shouldn't care since its not supposed to be there in the first place.