Ultimate Subaru Message Board

03 Outback rear lugs sheared off

2 of them sheared off in the rear....what all is involved in replacing them, anyone know?

I've done older ones, never really looked into newer stuff.

One was already broke off and another broke off this morning right before our 1,500 mile road trip....so I would like to have some clue on how it's done while I'm traveling....LOL

Sounds like he may have sheared them off with a wrench before/now so he does know how it happened.

Involves dis-assembly, hammering out the broken wheel stud, hammering in new from behind then TQing down the wheel lug to fully seat when together.

outback guys for specifics? I'm not sure

man, I JUST read a post about this from a guru on on this or the other board but can't find it now.

hand the caliper from a spring coil with a coat hanger or some twine or a bungee cord.

Buying a shank nut, or using a 'sacrificial' lug nut is probably the best way to pound them out. (probably spray with some PB blaster and let it sit for 30 minutes/overnight.

then, use a bunch of properly sized washers, stacked up as needed, and a 'real' nut(pass thru - not lug) to 'pull-in' the new studs. expect a lot of force needed from wht I've read.

dunno i fht e backing plate needs to come off. kinda think not - maybe rotate the hub around to where the caliper bracket is - I think there's clearance there.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

Wow, the other sheared off while you were driving? Nice...

I replaced a bunch (front and rear) on a 2000 Legacy that lived its early life in Binghamton, NY when i busted 'em pulling the lugs off with a breaker bar.

Like what was previously said; pull the caliper/rotor, pound them out - the "spline" on the stud is only a 3/8" or so (suppose you could use 3-jaw puller if you were afraid of damaging the bearings), then pull the new ones in with a lug nut, I don't believe I used any washers.

Good luck on the trip!!

Gary, once the rear caliper and rotor are removed, unbolt the ABS tone ring from the hub and take care not to hit it as it'll crumble.

Once the tone ring is out of the way, pound them out and I use an open ended lug nut and some washers to help pull it back into the hub once the new studs are slid into it.

Since you are talking about studs for a '97 outback you have maybe 10 mm of room or so until the a possible strike of the tone ring.

How much force is needed to get a stud out anyways? to play it safe I was going to use a C clamp but a BFH seems like it would be a lot quicker.

Since you are talking about studs for a '97 outback you have maybe 10 mm of room or so until the a possible strike of the tone ring.

How much force is needed to get a stud out anyways? to play it safe I was going to use a C clamp but a BFH seems like it would be a lot quicker.

Always unbolt the tone ring, especially the older style as they are pot metal and crumble very easily. I always use a large 3.3lb hammer to pound the old studs out.

If you break the tone ring, only way to replace it is to press the hub out replace the tone ring but might as well replace the bearing at the same time.

Always unbolt the tone ring, especially the older style as they are pot metal and crumble very easily. I always use a large 3.3lb hammer to pound the old studs out.

If you break the tone ring, only way to replace it is to press the hub out replace the tone ring but might as well replace the bearing at the same time.

I have to check again but I think the tone ring is on with a allen screw? I assume I have enough space to move the tone ring up and out of the way.. My hammer is about the same weight.

i thought they move the tone ring to the axle in 00???

I believe they did in '00 on the Legacy/Outbacks but on Forester and Impreza, they are still on the hub.

Now in '05 Legacy/Outbacks, the tone ring is part of the bearing assembly, actually hidden behind the inner seal on the bearing assembly. These are known to have rear wheel bearing issues and Subaru has a warranty up to 100k miles.

Just a tip, rotate the rotor so you have enough room behind it before you smack it with a hammer. Theres a spot where the EBrake parts allow just enough room to make it an advantage and much faster to get it out and the new one back in. And yes, tone ring on the actual axle-much easier on the 03's than the older ones with ABS.