Ultimate Subaru Message Board

UPDATE-EA81 starts sometimes...

I did some searching and im still not too clear...

85 Brat, Ea81: did full Tune up the other day, now something is keeping it from sparking sometimes. If you tapped the coil it would start, so I replaced the coil. Its still doing the same thing. The wires are on right, the grounds are good as are the fusible Links. Everything looks right, and it seems to start at random. This morning it started right up with no missing, turned it off; not sparking anymore. I haven't checked the resistance on the new coil, but i figure "hey its new". Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.

Are you starting it with a screw driver like some of us other old gen people? If so it could be the ignition cable thingy ( cant remember the name of it for the life of me. ) but mine took a ************ on me a while back and i had the same issues you are describing. and if you arent using a screw driver and its still in its cubby hole. its located behind the lock assembly on the steering column. Good luck hope this helps! :popcorn:

Sounds to me like one of the small coil wires has an internal break.

Next time it happens,check for 12V at coil -w/key on to check the supply side.

If OK,put a test light on coil -.

It should light up and pulse as the engine cranks.

No pulses= bad wire to the disty or bad ignition module.

Are you starting it with a screw driver like some of us other old gen people? If so it could be the ignition cable thingy ( cant remember the name of it for the life of me. ) but mine took a ************ on me a while back and i had the same issues you are describing. and if you arent using a screw driver and its still in its cubby hole. its located behind the lock assembly on the steering column. Good luck hope this helps! :popcorn:

Haha, watch it there ;) But no, infact I replaced the ign. Lock and switch awhile back

Sounds to me like one of the small coil wires has an internal break.

Next time it happens,check for 12V at coil -w/key on to check the supply side.

If OK,put a test light on coil -.

It should light up and pulse as the engine cranks.

No pulses= bad wire to the disty or bad ignition module.

I did use a test light on the coil, (ground to the - on the battery) placed on the + side of the coil. It lit up, but also on the - side with, AND without any wires attached I dont know much about coils though, is that normal?

Normally this means the ignition module is fubared.

In your case,it may mean the wire to the disty is bad.

I would it for continuity while moving it around.

My mistake, it does pulse. I believe I found a ground that was not entirely grounded, when I fixed that it started. Thanks for your help and knowledge :clap:

I know that the 85 and 86 distributors have a short life, of maybe 125,000 miles. Once that dies, you get no spark. You might swap out for another distributor that you know is good.

The black ground wire in the fuse box, goes bad on ea82 after 300,000 miles, if the car makes it that far. That was long ago for me. You might check that. Look for unusual stiffness, melting, or a break in the wire.

The hot wire to the alternator, gets fried on some models, right at the alternator. Look for melting and burning.

If it does not even turn over, perhaps the starter needs replacing. The brushes may be shot.

The distributor cap may inexplicably crack, then it won't fire.