Ultimate Subaru Message Board

On low speed right turns, I'm getting a clicking noise out of the left front end. My intuition (and 30 years fixing my own cars) tells me it sounds like a bad CV joint. I just noticed it this morning pulling into the parking garage, so I haven't checked it out yet. If anyone has any other ideas, I'm open to suggestions. Anyway, if it is the CV, where is the best place to buy a replacement axle. I've heard in the past that these cars are finicky about axles, and that aftermarket brands may not be in spec causing vibrations. I would rather find someone on line rather than pay 4 times as much from the dealer. If you've done this job, please let me know your parts source. Thanks.

Edited by Timberwolf530

MWE out of Colorado is highly respected.

Rebuilding your own is promoted a lot.

rebuilding junkyard axles

EMPI and Raxles.com seems to have few complaints (I have an EMPI on our 03 OBW - no problems, got it from Amazon or RockAuto - can't recall)

Dealerships supposedly have good rebuilts

local rebuilder (we have one near where I live - still iffy)

New from dealer ($$$$$)

last - typical rebuilds from Autozone, O'Reilly etc. have the most issues

I have had zero returns or complaints about them actually. I've probably installed between 50 and 100 of them.

One thing I've seen on a couple occasions (not just with Subaru) is that they tend to have engineered away or forgotten the inner joint cup retaining device (wire ring, or riveted plate). So that the inner joint is held on by only the boot. If you give them a tug the joint comes apart.... this happens mostly on FWD vehicles where the axle is retained by a snap ring on the inside of the transmission. Not all of their Subaru axles have this problem but I've experienced at least a couple that did.

I've had some similar axles that are branded as OP-Parts (but I'm told made from the same components made in the same factory in China) that are also good but I did have a pair that didn't hold up to a suspension lifted Forester with 2.5" strut spacers. Can't say I blame them for this though. That was a ridiculously difficult axle to get installed and they didn't last long at those severe angles.

GD

I have had zero returns or complaints about them actually. I've probably installed between 50 and 100 of them.

One thing I've seen on a couple occasions (not just with Subaru) is that they tend to have engineered away or forgotten the inner joint cup retaining device (wire ring, or riveted plate). So that the inner joint is held on by only the boot. If you give them a tug the joint comes apart.... this happens mostly on FWD vehicles where the axle is retained by a snap ring on the inside of the transmission. Not all of their Subaru axles have this problem but I've experienced at least a couple that did.

I've had some similar axles that are branded as OP-Parts (but I'm told made from the same components made in the same factory in China) that are also good but I did have a pair that didn't hold up to a suspension lifted Forester with 2.5" strut spacers. Can't say I blame them for this though. That was a ridiculously difficult axle to get installed and they didn't last long at those severe angles.

GD

great feedback - I thought of one more question; do you feel it's OK to use the gold axle nut supplied or do some vehicles 'really' require the 'olive'/dark-colored axle nut?

I've had some similar axles that are branded as OP-Parts (but I'm told made from the same components made in the same factory in China)

I got some of the OPs last time out of necessity, and they told me the same thing about them being made in the same factory in China. When I pulled the EMPIs they said Made in Taiwan, so either EMPI's factory moved to China or they have their information wrong. They might go through the same distributor or something so they are thinking it's the same factory. I haven't had any problems with the OPs for about a year, but I still think the EMPIS are higher quality.

I got some of the OPs last time out of necessity, and they told me the same thing about them being made in the same factory in China. When I pulled the EMPIs they said Made in Taiwan, so either EMPI's factory moved to China or they have their information wrong.

Could be just a question of terminology.

After all, Taiwan is officially called the 'Republic of China'.

Well, I just ordered 2 rebuilt from EMPI via auto parts warehouse, a bit over 75 beans including shipping and no core charge.

That's about what they are at NAPA (my NAPA axle has been holding up so far), so what-the-hey, I'll try 'em.

I really couldn't cost-justify spending about double for a unit from MWE or Raxles.

Well, I just ordered 2 rebuilt from EMPI via auto parts warehouse, a bit over 75 beans including shipping and no core charge.

If you are getting EMPIs make sure you are getting new not rebuilt. That's the advantage of the EMPIs.

MWE out of Colorado is highly respected.

Rebuilding your own is promoted a lot.

rebuilding junkyard axles

EMPI and Raxles.com seems to have few complaints (I have an EMPI on our 03 OBW - no problems, got it from Amazon or RockAuto - can't recall)

Dealerships supposedly have good rebuilts

local rebuilder (we have one near where I live - still iffy)

New from dealer ($$$$$)

last - typical rebuilds from Autozone, O'Reilly etc. have the most issues

I have one MWE axle and one raxles.com axle on my car. I bought the raxles.com axle last time because MWE took so long to get me their axle. I have zero complaints about either axle. Both drive fine and the raxles.com unit is warrantied for life. BUT, and that is a big but, you do have to return their axle to them first for that free replacement.

Steve

GOt a lifted outback, will need rears eventually, my boots are rotting but can be replaced... who should i turn to? Seems they are impossible to find new..

one option - get ahead of the problem, find a pair in a junkyard, regrease/reboot yourself. keep as spares. (mark left and right, swap side when you install and the wear surface will be almost new (just worn from reverse)

if EMPI has them, they are new.

one option - get ahead of the problem, find a pair in a junkyard, regrease/reboot yourself. keep as spares. (mark left and right, swap side when you install and the wear surface will be almost new (just worn from reverse)

Good advice. What is the make of OEM axles for New Gen? NTN?

ya know, this is something I have never read.

maybe one of the gurus will be along with that info.

Not a guru, but I had to go twice through replacing the inner boot above the converter. The Subaru replacement boot and something inside the DOJ (inner race, if memory serves) are marked "NTN".

Edited by avk