Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How to transport a windshield?

Lay it flat, wrapped in blankets and maybe a tie-strap or two lightly holding it in place? I transported mine sitting vertical in the floorboards wrapped in blankets.. they are pretty durable - considering they sit on the front of your car ;-)

edit: good luck getting it out... i hear thats the hard part. Im trying to get one for my back window and am thinking of just getting the entire liftgate.

-Justin

Never lay curved glass flat, it will break if given the chance. You want it on edge, that's how all the glass trucks transport it.

I was going to post this.

ALL glass companies truck windshields on end. I'd expect there is a valid reason.

Flat glass they prefer to truck standing up as well, but can truck flat glass and mirrors flat if theyhave to.

I'm almost thinking one of thos ecrappy mobole van windshields makes sense. Rather than a used windshield already scratched up. And that's if you (or they) can get it out. I think most new(cheap ones - not OEM or anything good) installed are like 250.00.

That's installed, removel of old one and hauled away. I won't call them a "quality install" but probably better than a person who only does a few in a lifetime.

How far will you need to transport the windshield? If it is just across town, then no big deal.......like someone said, just wrap it in blankets or bubble wrap and lay it flat in the cargo area.

Now if you are wanting to transport the windshield half way across state, then standing it up, is what I would do.

If you are getting a windshield out of a wy, or do it yourself removal out of a pick-a-part, then I would use the piano wire technique to cut it out. This is done by drilling a small hole through the windshield gasket, being careful not to drill through the glass. Insert a length of piano wire thru the hole, tie a stick on each end of the piano wire, then with a buddy, one guy inside the vehicle, one outside the vehicle, proceed to saw back and forth on the rubber molding until the glass can be pulled from the car. Be sure to wear leather gloves, and bring a lot of muscle, as this can be hard work, but this technique will remove the glass from the car. Good luck! I would prolly have a professional install the glass, so it is sealed well, and won't leak.

How far will you need to transport the windshield? If it is just across town, then no big deal.......like someone said, just wrap it in blankets or bubble wrap and lay it flat in the cargo area.

Now if you are wanting to transport the windshield half way across state, then standing it up, is what I would do.

If you are getting a windshield out of a wy, or do it yourself removal out of a pick-a-part, then I would use the piano wire technique to cut it out. This is done by drilling a small hole through the windshield gasket, being careful not to drill through the glass. Insert a length of piano wire thru the hole, tie a stick on each end of the piano wire, then with a buddy, one guy inside the vehicle, one outside the vehicle, proceed to saw back and forth on the rubber molding until the glass can be pulled from the car. Be sure to wear leather gloves, and bring a lot of muscle, as this can be hard work, but this technique will remove the glass from the car. Good luck! I would prolly have a professional install the glass, so it is sealed well, and won't leak.

+1 i have salvaged windows before and the piano wire is the best way to get them out just make sure you don't nick the edge of the windshield because that will ruin it.

the guys in the little red trucks came and pulled 2 windshields out - 1 broken one, 1 good one from a parts car, and reinstalled one, at my home - cost: $150 + applicable taxes.

I had the parts car here, in my yard, however, and this was about 6 years ago.

As for transporting - yes, standing it on edge is the best way to go. If you have ever seen the inside of an auto glass truck, they have a rack that holds all glass in a verticle position. Basically 2 boards that run the width of the interior, with evenly spaced dowels to stand the glass between. a couple of good sized boxes with a little weight in them would work just as well, one on either side of the glass, with the glass being padded for extra protection.