Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 Outback Legacy - fuel pressure when starting

I have a 99 Outback Legacy with approx 90K miles.

Just recently, when accelerating from a stop, I am frequently experiencing little response (low fuel pressure?) when I press the gas pedal, followed by a surge.

Just doing some basic troubleshooting ... best guess as to the cause? Fuel filter has recently been replaced.

I also every once in a while need to inexplicably jump the car after it sits for a few days. Related?

Thanks

How old are the spark plugs and their wires? Maybe they need to be replaced.

The charging system of battery and alternator is not likely linked with poor driveability. Suggest you go to a parts store like Autozone, Advance Auto, etc. These stores will analyze your charging system at no cost to see if there is a problem with the battery or alternator.

Thanks, Rooster -- not sure on the age of the spark plugs. Will have to check that out.

The issue wouldn't be related to the fuel pump?

Unlikely related to the fuel pump or a clogged fuel filter. When either go bad, you feel the motor is starving for fuel under heavy load or high rpm.

BTW, swapping out spark plugs is a nasty job. With just 90K miles on the motor, I am betting the plugs are the originals. Time for new plugs, prolly wires too. Plenty written on the subject, and can be found in the archives here under "search." When I changed plugs in my 99, it took two nights of work. One night for two spark plugs on each side of motor. There is just so little room to work to get at the plugs.

The EJ25D takes less than 45 minutes to change the plugs..

5/8" plug socket on a 3/8" drive

3/8" drive wobbly adapter

and a low profile 3/8" ratchet

Back to your symptoms. a dying TPS and/or a dying MAF will cause similar issues. My EG33 did that hesitation/surge thing when my MAF died.

Edited by torxxx