Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i call bull the grease thats in the berrings is ceap china grease crap i live in salt and gravel hell that grease whould be done in 50000kms i always clan it out and put in a good industral heavy grease and lots let it leak out at least the dirt wont get in every car i get has buckets of dirt and salt in the suspention mabee if you live in a dry area but not round here I have done over 100 wheel berring thiss year and replaced the grease in evry one before install standard procedrue and they dont come back in that 100 45 were doing it over after a shop had just recently done the berrings the back ones from 91-01 are the worst because most shops do not support the rear berring when they press it and break the race

Personally I use the grease packed with the bearings and I have never had a single repeat failure. I am extremely attentive to cleanliness and I have quite a bit of training with regards to bearings. One thing that no one ever listens about is how *little* grease you should actually be using. 30% of the cavity should be filled. With the grease that's packed with the bearings that's about what you will have once it flows out to the seals.

Seal surfaces are another area no one pays attention to. They need to be very clean with no signs of a lip groove. Few are in good enough shape to run 100k in a harsh environment once the first failure has already occurred.

GD

Personally I use the grease packed with the bearings and I have never had a single repeat failure. I am extremely attentive to cleanliness and I have quite a bit of training with regards to bearings. One thing that no one ever listens about is how *little* grease you should actually be using. 30% of the cavity should be filled. With the grease that's packed with the bearings that's about what you will have once it flows out to the seals.

Seal surfaces are another area no one pays attention to. They need to be very clean with no signs of a lip groove. Few are in good enough shape to run 100k in a harsh environment once the first failure has already occurred.

GD

Well...now I know where the Welsh word 'slipuducuppadalip' comes from...

Engineering thoughts like that are real headaches....but I guess we gotta think them anyway.... :-(

--Damien