Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 Forrester cruise control problem

Okay guys, I need to help. I have a 99 Forester and this past weekend I had to drive from Richmond Virginia to Atlanta Georgia and when I got on the highway I found out that my cruise control no longer works. 1200 miles in three days with no cruise, I was not a happy camper.

I am getting no check engine light, no ABS light, my horn works fine and my blinker signals work fine. I know that the roll connector can cause the cruise control to go out, however, I thought that the horn or blinker signals should be affected as well. When I push the button on the dash the cruise light comes on, so I don't think the problem is there. I'm thinking it's either the switch in the steering wheel, the cruise computer or the actuator under the hood. I guess what I'm asking is; where should I start looking, or does anyone have experience with an issue like this? One question I did come up with is; is there a relay that is actuated by the dashboard switch and if so, where is it? I guess I need to rule out the clutch and brake switches as well. So, where should I start?

I've generally had no trouble with cruise control, until trying it for the first time on a 2000 OBW I acquired recently. The light on the switch would go on, but the column switch wouldn't do anything. However, as I moved the switch in all three directions repeatedly and vigorously it began working, at first intermittently, and then consistently. I'm thinking that the original owner may not have ever used it, and that a sufficient film of dirt or surface corrosion may have formed over the course of 12 years to insulate the contact surfaces. Could that be the situation with your Forester?

It prolly is still the clockspring. Watch for airbag light too.

Actually I forget. And I've replaced a few in Lagacy's and one in an Impreza 95-99.

But trying to think of why there would be an extra wire in the clockspring for cruise since it's on the stalk and no tthe wheel - unless Foresters are different.

I've usually seen a vacuum issue. On the one I remember IIR it was a gizmo(ball shaped IIR) near the firewall on the pass side.

But my memory isn't what it used to be.

If you were under the hood at all before the trip, like changing the air filter, you could have bumped the Vacuum hose off the actuator on the firewall. Easy to do and easy to overlook.

I have done this, and the no 1 reason the do not work is usually the brake and or the clutch switch.

Thought I'd let you guys know. I looked at the forester (finally) and, Nipper, you were right. The plastic grommet had come off the clutch pedal. I am going to find another as the little prong that holds it on the pedal broke off. Hopefully, I can find one soon. I miss my cruise. Let me tell you, 1200 miles without it made me unhappy.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

Thought I'd let you guys know. I looked at the forester (finally) and, Nipper, you were right. The plastic grommet had come off the clutch pedal. I am going to find another as the little prong that holds it on the pedal broke off. Hopefully, I can find one soon. I miss my cruise. Let me tell you, 1200 miles without it made me unhappy.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

Pffft, I suggested it first, but noooooooo; Nipper gets the credit.:Flame:

J/k. Glad you figured it out. That was what was wrong with my OBS. Strange little design.

Sorry man, credit should be given to you. I just went by the last post I remembered. My bad and thank you very much for the help. It was the first place I lloked and you saved me alot of digging into the other parts. I really wouldn't have looked there first without some prompting.

Thanks again

Sorry man, credit should be given to you. I just went by the last post I remembered. My bad and thank you very much for the help. It was the first place I lloked and you saved me alot of digging into the other parts. I really wouldn't have looked there first without some prompting.

Thanks again

It's all good. I went full retard and disassembled my cruise pump, ran all new vac lines, replaced fuses, tried a new switch, and finally found the little plug in the pedal was gone. Glad you didn't go through the hours of diag like I did.

What you are describing is exactly what I was planning on doing. You saved me BIG TIME. Stupid little piece of plastic. Hope subaru has some in stock.

I just got a cheapo interior push plug like the kind they fasten carpet kits in with, and a dab of model airplane glue to keep it in place. Like $1.19 at autozone.