Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Power steering coming and going

have you verified that your crank pulley didnt separate? Its a common issue on the EG33 engines because of the amount of HP. Nothing goes to say that an OB wont do the same thing. Powersteering puts the most load on the belt system, so if that pulley separated @ the center of it, its allowing the outer edge to slip and then regrab what little bit of edge is left where it separated.

Take a paint marker or finger nail polish and put two marks on your crank pulley, then go drive it around the block and then shut it back off. The lines you painted should still be lined up.

... ATF and power steering fluid are basically the same thing.

Not exactly but Very Close... in fact, I switched over a decade ago from ATF to PSF (with Seal conditioners additive) on my age old EA82 due to a minor leakage and the leakage dissapeared and has gone for all these years; but the Steering becomes a Li'l Harder with PSF than with ATF.

fixed mine yesterday the belt was slipping on the ribs of the ps pully but was tight the ribs of the belt were worn enuff that was not grabing when under load changed belt and problem was fixed ...

I was about to suggest a Belt slip, usually those doesn't make Noise on the Power Steering pulley only.

Why don't you try that? ... if the Belt is old, it could be good idea.

Kind Regards.

There is a small spool valve in the pump that regulates the pressure. Unlikely but it could be getting stuck. It's located just behind the high pressure outlet fitting.

I modified mine to bump up the pressure as when I would get sideways the power steering couldn't keep up with my steering correction.

Well, I changed the pump and the belt with no improvement, and have now discovered a wet spot on the rack. It looks like I'm going to have to change that sucker. UGH!

I have heard that there is a thread detailing the process, but haven't been able to find it. I don't suppose one of you has a quick link?

• 1 month later...