Ultimate Subaru Message Board

XT6 and EJ clutch differences?

I bought a clutch kit for an XT6 years ago that does not fit an XT6...so I'm now trying to figure out what it is.

Apparently the pressure plate is larger than the XT6 pressure plate...

Chux said the EJ clutch bearings and clutch disc are the same as the XT6?

I don't think I have any old clutch parts around to compare.

Doubt it matters but it's a Rhino Pack 15-009 Clutch kit (or that's what the box says - either the wrong part is in the box or they don't fit the XT6) - but they're all listed as XT6 only. For example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RHINO-PAC-15-009-Clutch-Set-/160824529882

Disc is the same but the pressure plate isnt.

I think the pilot bearing is the same also, but not sure about the throw out bearing. I like to use Rockauto for x-referencing.

Agreed. I'm not sure about the TO bearing either.

Easy way to tell on the pressure plate. The EA/ER flywheel has a step from the pressure plate mounting face down to the friction surface. Whereas the EJ one is flat.

This means that the friction surface protrudes out beyond the cover on an EA/ER pressure plate. The picture in that ebay link shows a cover where the mounting surface is on the same(ish) plane as the friction surface.

Agreed. I'm not sure about the TO bearing either.

Easy way to tell on the pressure plate. The EA/ER flywheel has a step from the pressure plate mounting face down to the friction surface. Whereas the EJ one is flat.

This means that the friction surface protrudes out beyond the cover on an EA/ER pressure plate. The picture in that ebay link shows a cover where the mounting surface is on the same(ish) plane as the friction surface.

Greay, thanks guys. Thanks Chux was hoping youd chime in, so you think that picture is not an xt6 pressure plate? interesting if not since that is the part wrong with mine and its the same kit.

hard to believe they would mis-list thos for years though? ill open it up and recheck and see if i have any used stuff, i think i have one EJ used set somewhere.

Edited by grossgary

The number you give is almost certainly a "Rhino-pac" rebranding of the Exedy 15009 kit which is a rebranding of the OEM Daikin kit. By all listings that is supposed to fit the XT6.

Everywhere you turn the feeling I get is that this kit has been discontinued.

It may be that you have a mis-boxed kit or one part is wrong in it, etc.

EA82/ER27 and EJ use the same throw out, pilot, and sometimes a very similar disc for 4WD/AWD non-turbo applications. The EA plate is stepped while the EJ plate is not.

GD