Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clutch Cable 87' Brat

Fso

Ok. I've done a little bit of researching and I am still stumped.

My gf called me, and told me that the Brat wouldn't go into any gear. So I towed it home and I started to fiddle with it. The clutch cable looks intact, and appears to be working correctly only I can not get it into gear. Now i did notice that the cable was frayed and a few cables are frayed off.

I have no problem getting into gears when the car is off and it shifts smoothly.

Do I just need to adjust my cable or possibly replace it?

Also if i put the car in gear with the engine off and turn it on it shutters pretty loudly, but i can't look because i have to hold the clutch or it'll die.

Any suggestions would help and are greatly appreciated, thanks.

If it's beginning to fray it probably needs to be replaced, I learned my lesson the hard way with that. But If the cable is still intact, and you can see the clutch fork move with the spare tire off, I would adjust the cable out and see what that does. Any idea on how many miles on the clutch?

And P.S welcome to the board, nice to see another Texan :headbang:

Edited by BratRod

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for such a late response.

I adjusted the clutch cable and it's working, but I can hear and feel that the cable is ready to snap so i'll be replacing it soon.

Does anyone know a site where I can order one?

Thanks for the welcome as well!

Don't see too many older Subarus in Texas lol.

You can order the cable from just about any parts store. I believe Napa sells them for around $50, almost identical to the original, except it doesn't have a lock nut, so keep that. However, if you've got more time, the one I got from autozone was around $35, and is a lot sturdier than the Napa one (I know, suprised me too, probably because it was made in Isreal instead of China or Mexico). The cable sleeve is thicker and firmer, and the brackets are more beefy. The only thing you might have to watch for it one of the washers was a little to thick on mine, so I had to use one off the old one. Yours could be a little different though, since it's and EA81. Mine's an 87 EA82 Coupe.

Order the cable for an '84, that way you get the correct one, (or any parts for that matter).. If you go with the year of your's, you could get the EA82 cable, (or other parts).

Be sure to properly route the replacement also.

It runs under the steering column and heater hoses in the engine compartment.

84 Brat cable snapped while my son was driving it.

I bought an aftermarket, (cheap-o) failed quickly...

The second one I think I went to the Subaru dealer or ? and got better quality set up. I knew then what I didn't want.. and that was another flimsy one... that was like 8 years ago and working great what ever I put in.

84 Brat cable snapped while my son was driving it.

I bought an aftermarket, (cheap-o) failed quickly...

The second one I think I went to the Subaru dealer or ? and got better quality set up. I knew then what I didn't want.. and that was another flimsy one... that was like 8 years ago and working great what ever I put in.

When I called them for mine, they said it was discontinued, but mine would be a different part. Worth a shot.