Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi people. Anybody here seen a 2-door Outback? I love panel wagons but want something modern and dependable. I have a 45 mile, one way, commute to deal with. I want to see if I can't make my '03 Outback into a panel wagon. What do you guys think about the logistics and aesthetics of such a project?

Well, I guess you could remove the rear door handles, fill in something over the glass in the rear doors, and paint. You would then permanently fold down the back seat for extended cargo area for that panel wagon look. It is not something I would find appealing in function, or look that great as I try to envision it, but that is just my opinion.

If you modify your OB significantly, you will prolly destroy any resell value, and what you would then have would be difficult to find anyone interested in buying it. Overall, it doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

When I sell a car, I sell it for scrap. I'm not worried about resale. If I was though, I think you are completely right. It would significantly decrease the value to most people.

I already have the seats permanetly down. I'm just not sure about the potential look of it.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have had the idea of using a road sighn hi-tensile aluminum and curving it to the shape of the rear window and cutting it out, making the sign replace the window on its track and be operable still.

do this and panel out the 1/4 windows and replace the seats themselves with folding bulkheads and build storage into the rear floorbord when the seat is down.

I vote for this idea if you go for it.

to look proper, if you made it a true 2-door, you should elongate the front door and move the b pillar back and base the proportions off an ea81 brat/hatch door vs 4door or 2-dor impeza vs 4-door for proportion.

I have had the idea of using a road sighn hi-tensile aluminum and curving it to the shape of the rear window and cutting it out, making the sign replace the window on its track and be operable still.

do this and panel out the 1/4 windows and replace the seats themselves with folding bulkheads and build storage into the rear floorbord when the seat is down.

I vote for this idea if you go for it.

to look proper, if you made it a true 2-door, you should elongate the front door and move the b pillar back and base the proportions off an ea81 brat/hatch door vs 4door or 2-dor impeza vs 4-door for proportion.

Maybe rig longer doors that open lambo or gull-wing style!

looks kinda like a Buick Roadmaster and a 57 Chevy had a child lol!

dunno, just GIS on 'chevy nomad' and '2 door woody wagon', and grabbed some fun-looking pics

Haha

Pretty sure that is a Caprice wagon, the Roadmaster had the "vista roof"

Those things looked like upside down bathtubs. My grandpa had one forever.

QUOTE]

I am liking this idea. Something to consider for sure. Thank you for sharing that!

QUOTE]

I am liking this idea. Something to consider for sure. Thank you for sharing that!

i would like to see the results if you tried that! i don't currently have a spare wagon to chop, and my road signs are reserved for my cargo van rear windows.8

alrighty, here are a couple that had a lttle bit of time taken with them in PS - not the best resolution pictures, but, that is the way it goes.

I once had a similar idea with my old GL wagon...never did follow thru on it.

post-89-136027659606_thumb.jpg

post-89-136027659614_thumb.jpg

Edited by heartless

These look great. Thank you for the visual. I'm excited at this possibility.

alrighty, here are a couple that had a lttle bit of time taken with them in PS - not the best resolution pictures, but, that is the way it goes.

I had once had a similar idea with my old GL wagon...never did foloow thru on it.

Nice job--did you do that, heartless?

yes Olnick, I did do those - took about maybe 30 minutes each - quickies. I got quite into the photo-chopping thing a while back - never got "really" good at it, but not bad. then kind of fell out of it again...was fun to dust off & stretch those skills a little again.

the thing with photochopping is, one: you want the largest resolution picture you can get for the details - the bigger the better (you can always reduce the size when you are done), and two: you have to take the time to add shading, highlights, reflections, etc to make it look realistic. a car does not have perfectly flat surfaces, they are rounded and curved, so a solid color fill just doesnt look right. (sorry brus brother, but that is why yours was not appealing at all)

El Mongoose - you are welcome for the visuals. :D

Edited by heartless