Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 1999 outback wagon 2.5 automatic trans with about 190,000 miles. I am having an intermittent problem with the motor not turning over when the key is turned. There is no click and the warning lights on the dash dim but the car motor doesn't crank. If I wait a bit and try it again it usually cranks over and at a normal speed. The battery has been checked and it is good.

When this happens it is always with the first start of the day or after the car has been parked for a number of hours. If I'm out running errands and in and out of the car in short intervals it always starts right up. I have tried jiggling the gear shifter when this happens but it doesn't change anything.

Any ideas?

Probably not the starter. They just don't go bad. Contacts in the solenoid if anything. (about $10-20)

I'd say first check and clean your battery connections.

It could also be in the ignition switch....occassionally a relay needs added to the starter system. Very common in 80's 'roos, and now the 90's ones are needing it too. The Ig. switches get worn and can't conduct enough amps anymore.

But yeah, before anything else check, clean, and/or replace battery connections and cables, at both ends of the cables.

Probably not the starter. They just don't go bad. Contacts in the solenoid if anything. (about $10-20)

I'd say first check and clean your battery connections.

It could also be in the ignition switch....occassionally a relay needs added to the starter system. Very common in 80's 'roos, and now the 90's ones are needing it too. The Ig. switches get worn and can't conduct enough amps anymore.

They can go bad but just do so rarely. The contacts are likely the root cause.

something's pulling in enough to dim the lights, but is either hanging up or the cables/battery can't supply enough current. So, ignition switch is probably OK.

And the battery is probably OK given the failure seems intermittent and the car will eventually start. I'd say the solenoid contacts are pitted/bad or the starter is going. But, cleaning the battery terminals and inspecting the cables and the ground and starter connections would be a good idea in case current is being limited and that stuff is easy/cheap.