Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Could I use this push button start?

http://www.amazon.com/Dodge-Challenger-2008-2011-Button-SWITCH/dp/B005F5LM3O/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_7

I would love to have push button start and this is CHEAP. But on newer cars do they only work if you have a key fob with you? I'm on a super cheap budget and it seems my ignition switch is wearing out... was also thinking I could just take the ignition out and touch the actual wires together (hotwire it) if it gets too bad. It's an '84 2wd DL coupe.

Spank you very much.

If you want a button that works like turning the key (meaning, where you have to hold it down 'till the engine starts, then just about any button/momentary-on-switch should work. I'm not positive, but on a new car, the button would probably send a signal to the computer, and as long as it had a signal that the key was there, it would start. The key detector would function kinda like a neutral switch, at least in terms of the starting circuit. As long as the button can handle the current, it should be fine.

However, if you want that you touch the button, and it cranks until it starts, you'd need a module for it.

its just the switch not the module. I would guess that the actual challenger switch would go through a separate module that is wired into the system, or the computer. It wouldn't be any different than a toggle switch other than it might have specific wires that a basic switch wouldn't have.

if you want to fab something up, either pull the entire setup out of a junkyard car, or start with a standard remote start button like a mechanic uses.

That switch will not carry the solenoid current and is likely going to have a proprietary connection and mounting setup such that it will be very difficult to use it.

To actually replace the ignition switch you will need one or two toggle switches and a momentary push button - the toggle switches turn on and off the power to the ignition and accessory circuits and the push button will crank and engine.

There is really no good reason to do this though since a replacement ignition switch from the dealer is only about $15 and you can have the lock cylinder rebuilt by any good smith for very little.

GD