Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How to use '95-'99 Legacy alt in '94 to '99 Legacy?

Ok, so '95-'99 Legacy alt runs around $99 because of that recall on them, while for '90-'94 is $219. How do you use a '95-99 in a '94 application? The '94 looks to have three wires connected at the alt connector. The '96 looks to have only two. I haven't had a chance to check the wiring diagrams ...

23700AA090R1 Legacy

1990-1994 Engine Parts, Alternator ALTERNATOR ASSEMBLY REMAN FOR 1990-1994 LEGACY ALL (We will buy back the core in the box for 30 dollars after the job is done, contact us by email and we will arrange) $300 $219

23700AA34ARA Legacy

1995-1999 Engine Parts, Alternator ALTERNATOR ASSEMBLY REMAN FOR 1995-1999 LEGACYS (We will buy back the core in the box for 30 dollars after the job is done, contact us by email and we will arrange) $129 $99

I used a 1st gen legacy alt in a 2nd gen by making jumpers with spade terminals. IT only needed 2 wires and the rest were unused. I almost blew stuff up figuring out which ones, though. Don't cook anything. Perhaps cross-reference schematics.

Edited by MilesFox

Ok thanks, I will definitely take a look, this '94 alt is definitely funky. It appears to be the original. I only started it a couple times in the summer and the voltage wouldn't go above maybe 12.8V. Then I just went to start her today and the battery was just about dead (new battery last year). So I put the quick charger on her, and then after about 45 minutes started her up. Voltage stayed up near 14V no matter if I turned the lights, rear defroster, blower, etc. so that makes me suspect of this alt. Last winter I had to double foot her at stop lights if i had much accessories on to keep the voltage from dropping below like 11 volts.

have any info on this recall? i have a 96 and would like to know more

I don't think it's in effect anymore, but Subaru did end up with a boatload of bad alternators which they sent off to be re-manufactured and they're now for sale at most Subaru dealers for about $75 plus core. That's about $50 - $100 cheaper than the parts store POS alternatives.

Simple - don't hookup the yellow wire. The 90-94 alt requires an ignition switched 12v lead that the 95+ alt does not. Therefore you simply don't use the yellow, switched 12v lead when you do the swap. Wrap it in the harness so it can't short to anything.

GD

This is exactly what I did when I put a 97 alt into my 90 leggy. Been about a year, no problems at all!

Simple - don't hookup the yellow wire. The 90-94 alt requires an ignition switched 12v lead that the 95+ alt does not. Therefore you simply don't use the yellow, switched 12v lead when you do the swap. Wrap it in the harness so it can't short to anything.

GD

Excellent, thank you all, I will try this out. I am very suspicious of the alt on this '94, it appears to be original, and it seems to really charge well at idle only about 50% of the time. It likes to sit below 12.8V output about half the time idling, and about 14V the other half (all at no load).