Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 Forester 187K, About 1 month ago I lost a water pump on a long uphill doing about 75mph. Over heat, loss of power and engine quit. I have replaced waterpump and timing belt. No start. pulled spark plugs, all had antifreeze on the electrodes. Did a compression test, 60 psi one bank, 90 psi the other. I now know I need to rebuild/replace engine. Here are the question I would like to post.

1. Rebuild myself, if so please send me the posts with parts and gasket requirement.

2. Buy a rebuild.

3. replace car.

My skill set is shade tree for 30 yrs. Thanks for the replies. :headbang:

At 187k, the general condition of the car is an issue. My 99 is worth a completely new engine, since it has new struts, brakes, tires, wheel bearings, and still shifts good.

I unfortunately installed a top-end rebuild six months ago, built by a local guy on an untouched original used shortblock. It hasn't worked out, burns oil and is developing a rod knock. This is a typical scenario; new tight heads on old rings (less leakage --> higher compression) blows more gas into crankcase and sucks more air back form the crankcase, and blue smoke coms out your tailpipe. So I learned. The bottom ends on Subaru 2.5's tend to last about just that long (150-250k miles), and are therefore the limiting factor in the life of an non-abused/non-neglected engine.

I know of 2 sources for reputable longblocks, and fortunately one is a pleasant 2 hour drive from here. I won't name them until I have direct personal experience.

99 Forester 187K, About 1 month ago I lost a water pump on a long uphill doing about 75mph. Over heat, loss of power and engine quit. I have replaced waterpump and timing belt. No start. pulled spark plugs, all had antifreeze on the electrodes. Did a compression test, 60 psi one bank, 90 psi the other. I now know I need to rebuild/replace engine. Here are the question I would like to post

1. Rebuild myself, if so please send me the posts with parts and gasket requirement.

2. Buy a rebuild.

3. replace car.

My skill set is shade tree for 30 yrs. Thanks for the replies. :headbang:

get another motor.

A lesser option is to bolt your heads to another EJ25 block...that's if you trust your overheated/oil compromised heads/cam bearing surfaces.

99-2001 EJ22's will swap into your forester as well.

rebuilds are not cost effective either...not too mention extremely time consuming to do it properly.