Ultimate Subaru Message Board

NHTSA 1978 GLF/Leono crash test video

Well first off that's an '80

And I would say the car did well. Passenger compartment totally intact, engine submarines under.

The only thing that failed was the seatbelts. I almost think that was intentional. You see the foam piece mounted on the outside of the windshield? Primitive data logger for face through glass impact force.:headbang:

It didn't do well for the standards of today but it certainly did ok. Lets keep in mind the overall cost of these cars, the technology of that time and that the safety standards weren't very high back then.

I also look at it this way. Looks to me like you rear ended somebody to be in that situation. Better not do that. :)

The only thing that failed was the seatbelts. I almost think that was intentional.

You're probably right, I hope so. The only misgiving I have about driving an '81 and planning on doing a major EJ upgrade is the crash-worthiness compared to an air-bagged car. Looks like a restraints upgrade is in order too.

You're probably right, I hope so. The only misgiving I have about driving an '81 and planning on doing a major EJ upgrade is the crash-worthiness compared to an air-bagged car. Looks like a restraints upgrade is in order too.

I had my reservations about posting this for this reason. Sorry to spook you.

I knew it would be interesting to read the comments this got though. Never would have known that was an '80 model year.

I agree with Shawn though, this is probably the least likely possible collision you'll ever have if you're a safe driver, barring catastrophic failure/hand of god/invisible then suddenly visible big cow directly in your path.