Ultimate Subaru Message Board

This past storm we had (Sandy) had me starting my car more then normal.. anyways I went back to my car and went to start it I heard some relays clicking really fast when you hold the key to start.. A few more tries later it finally starts.

Now before anyone asks I replaced the starter contacts early in the summer, only thing I did not replace was the plunger.

Anyways, when I got home if you turn the car off and start again you have a 50/50 chance of it starting or just clicking, when it does crank over I can't really say for sure it sounds like a slow cranking start.

I'm going to say must be weak battery since we are going on our 2nd day of 30's F night temps? I better bring the jump pack with me.. I can't say I'm shocked but the timing sucks with this.. I forget what the price of the interstate battery is.

Edited by 1-3-2-4

You might just try some maintenance on that battery. Check the water if you can, clean the terminals and put a charger on it and get it up to a full charge and see if that helps.

I know on my diesel pickup putting a trickle charger on it when I am not driving it for a while to keep the batteries fully charged does make a difference.

You might just try some maintenance on that battery. Check the water if you can, clean the terminals and put a charger on it and get it up to a full charge and see if that helps.

I know on my diesel pickup putting a trickle charger on it when I am not driving it for a while to keep the batteries fully charged does make a difference.

I would do all that but I don't have any power at my house do to the hurricane we had so at a family member's house.. They said maybe Mon-tues the power is back..

I will check the water level but I assume a interstate 500CCA is like $80 I can't remember it off hand what I spent on the other Legacy.

I thought about that after I submitted my answer and wondered if you were in that situation.

Only thing I took when I left the house was my jump pack which I always keep charged up.

I know this battery has had a hard life being deep cycled by the last owner, I was going to replace it with a SLA battery but might not now.

Hm yah if it was deep cycled that is not good for starter batteries, they don't like that at all and it drastically reduces their life. I'd say keep the jump pack with you fully charged and hopefully that will keep it running.

In a crisis I'd say if going out somewhere for short periods, just leave her running, if you have a club or something could attach that to the wheel just as a deterrent.

Hope things get better soon, seeing it on the news it looks pretty rough. We were supposed to get power outages and downed trees here but Sandy fizzled out over this area anyway really didn't get much of anything.

Yeah I figured It was not going to last that much longer but I will have to get another battery this Friday, I found out about the weak battery when out shooting pictures so the next few areas I shot pictures out I just left the car running while I was near by.

They always fail at the worst times heh

From your description of the trouble it sounds like the battery connections are making a poor connection to the battery posts. If you are sure the connections are good and the battery is bad it also be a good thing to have the charging system checked out when the new battery is installed. It may save you from further trouble later on.

Well I was due to rewire the whole battery to starter and the ground, but I ended up having to put it on hold, I need to get the hydraulic crimper, I have the battery posts and the ends that go on the wires, I just need the wires and the starter end terminal needs to be replaced.

But this morning It started up fine going to work and coming home from work.

Still regardless the battery is old.

Check what the price of a Subaru battery is at your local dealer. I bought one earlier this year. $65 after the core.

And an 80 month warranty. I think it's 36 free replacement, the rest pro-rate. Says on the battery, I'll have to check.

I thought Subaru batteries were pretty weak in cold climates? I know when I had my forester I could not wait to get rid of it.

About 10 years ago I needed a battery bad and was out in the sticks. I picked up the cheapest battery that NAPA carried. To this day my outback still fires up with no problem. I did find out one day that if you have someone replace your windshield to make sure that the door are shut. The next morning the battery was dead but a few hours on the charger and all was well again.

Now watch, I just jinxed myself.

I thought Subaru batteries were pretty weak in cold climates? I know when I had my forester I could not wait to get rid of it.

27 degrees this morning and mine didn't seem bothered. The autozone something or other battery i put in it a few years ago started slower than this one dis this morning. I guess l see how it works out with more cold weather in the forecast.

Any battery that's a few years old is going to be affected by temperature. And who's knows how that battery was treated before you got that car.

Check out this deal from Advanced Auto for $45.99 battery 7 year warranty:

To get this deal:

1.Add the AutoCraft Gold Car Battery to your cart for $110.99 (verify CCA of your existing to be sure)

2.apply coupon code "A124" to drop it to $70.99 (hurry coupon code expires 11/7)

3.redeem the $25 mail-in rebate (search for "AAP-10020") to cut it to $45.www.advanceauto.com

choose instore pick up

I know you are "local" so there is Advanced in Stamford and Norwalk.

Here is the link to the deal discussion:

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1231931/

Edited by brus brother