Ultimate Subaru Message Board

steering problem **need help**

hey everyone, my steering has always been like this since i got the car from idaho. And lately the steering has been bothering me so i want to fix this soon as possible, so the steering sometimes drives straight when i let go of the steering wheel, but then other times, the steering likes to stick to the right or left, meaning the steering wheel will pull to one side for a period of time, and i have to keep my hands on the steering wheel turning the other way to keep it straight. while the turning is stuck to one side the steering is stiff or hard to turn the steering wheel the opposite way. I have no idea on what to do or what the problem could be... someone please help!!!!!! Its a 1984 subaru brat gl and has no power steering!!

alright so i took the brat into a shop for someone to do a diagnosis on it, and it ended being the rack and pinion, and i think he said something about the rack and pinion gears? would this be right? oh and i also have a quiet clicking noise that it sound like its coming from in front of me by the rack and pinion. And to note, i also changed my cv axles 3 months ago so its not them making a clicking noise? any answers? oh and he just did a diagnosis, he didnt fix anything.