Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what distributor is the correct one for a ea81t

i found out that the distributor off a ea71 fits on it correctly but should i use it? it fits perfect without hitting anything and it turns freely with no problems when i turn the engine over with a ratchet. i have 2 types that work for and one that doesnt because the shaft is too long. the 2 that work are a self igniting(no wires)and a electricly controlled one, what one would be better to use?

You need the correct four wire EA81T distributor that has the proper connections for the knock control unit. You can't use any non turbo distributor as your timing control will not work correctly. Turbocharged fuel injection needs the ability to retard the timing in response to a knock sensor. None of the two-wire distributors have the ability to run the knock control.

GD

You would have to change the drive gear which means drilling a new roll pin location in the shaft and the drive gear must come from an EA81 Hitachi distributor. Then you have to cut off one mounting ear and move some wiring to make enough clearance to turn the disty once its installed.... I wouldn't call them "small" modifications if you have never drilled precisely located roll pin holes in shafts before.....

Also the only EA82T candidate that will work is the 85/86 models. After that they went to optical and ECU controlled timing instead of the separate knock control units.

GD

• 2 weeks later...