Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dissasembling 88 GL10 - What should I keep?

I've got a GL10 with a blown turbo that needs to be removed from my yard and go to its home in the sky crusher.  It's sad to destroy a subaru, but this one is ready to go so that others may live.  I'm planning to save the FT4WD trans with locking center diff w/ switch & wiring, the hubs, rotors, calipers, backingplates, axles, rear diff 3.7 LSD.  I"m going to snag the alternator as well, but I don't think I'll need anything else from the EA82 turbo engine, I'll just put it in the back of the wagon when it goes to the scrap yard.  The idea is to keep anything I might want to use on my Brat in the future.  Any other suggestions for parts to pull?  Should I bother with the control arms?  Would there be any reason to install them on the Brat if swapping to an EJ in the distant future, or neede for installing the 5 speed in the near future? 

Better save the cross pipe if it did not rattle before it stopped running.  They don't make them anymore.  Better check what generation EA82 cylinder heads you have.  The raised letter ID is on the bottom of each cylinder head.  Gen 2's have EA82 with a solid line underneath.  Gen 3's have EA82 inside of a rectangular box.  If you have Gen 3's, they are worth at least $50, providing  there are no exhaust port cracks.  All others are just worth the $10 core deposit when you buy a used one from an autowrecker.  The distributor is worth $50. Since the engine block and heads are aluminum, it is worth more per pound than the steel car.  So it might be better to sell separately.  How many miles on the engine?  What generation cylinder heads do you have?  You might be able to buy a similar fixer upper for say $400, that you can rob parts off of your current car, in order to fix the fixer upper.  In which case, you will be saving a lot more parts than you have described above.

Edited by scoobiedubie