Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2.5 Died due to a leaking head gasket. I was told by a what i think is a knowledgeable person at a junkyard that a 2.2L is a much better motor and I should swap that in. Ideally from a 1996. So I found one that only
has 72,000 on it for $400 and just want to double check with you guys on here to make sure it will work in my car? Its a 2000 Legacy L 2.5L AT. Also I am located in New York, so I cant have codes popping due to
emission testing.

So no, that isn't a bolt in or direct swap.  The 2.2 swap only applies to the Outback/Legacy cars from 1996-1999.  The 2000 model year cars have the EJ251/3 and none of the intake manifold stuff is compatible or bolt on ready.  

Died due to a leaking head gasket meaning you had an external head gasket leak and enough oil leaked out to develop a rod knock or hole in the top of the engine?  Many companies on the web offer rebuilt engines for these cars including mine.  $3190 for a replacement engine with shipping and $500 core charge if you order one from me.  Chances are good you can find a used one locally like you did but the correct one for your car that is used and from a wrecked car.  Usually a good gamble and I recommend having head gaskets and timing belt replaced before installing.

To hell with the EJ25's! I'm in the middle of a EJ22 swap in my 1998 legacy outback. I replaced my head gaskets on the outback four years ago then they blew again on my way to eastern Oregon. I used cometic gaskets and ARP head studs, and had the block and heads resurfaced. It should have been bullet proof. I've got an EJ22 in my hatch with 220,000 miles and is still going strong. All hail the EJ22!!!

Like Shawn said that's only the case for 1996-1999 Legacy/Outback EJ25's.  (Doesn't work for 99 Impreza/Forester either).

You can swap a 1999-2001 EJ22 (from either a legacy or impreza):  www.car-parts.com

I was looking for one yesterday and found them for $400 - $600.

That being said 2000 EJ25's typically don't die due to headgaskets, unless they're ignored overheated, or run low on oil.

If it's just the headgasket - replace the headgasket and use a Subaru EJ25 Turbo headgasket.

2.2 can be installed. IAC will need blocked off.

2.2 manifold with 2.5 throttle body, intake wiring, and coil. Injector connectors for 2.2 swapped onto 2.5 intake wiring.

Use 2.5 crank and cam pulleys.

Will throw codes, but will run fine.

i would use the 2.2 bottom end with the 2.5 heads on it have done a few now works good have to use the 2.2t headgaskets and slot two coolant holes but thiss setup works good and can use the stock managment the timing belt tentioner  had to be trimed slightly to fitt the lower starter bolt had to be hili coiled and a stud installed to accomadate the 4 bolt bell last one was a 03 impreza with a 92 legacy 2.2 bottom end

note - you'll need exhaust header/manifold for any 96+ EJ22, they are single port exhaust, EJ25's are dual.  otherwise it bolts right up though, you just need one extra part.

1995 EJ22's have dual port exhaust so no need for manifold for that one year (auto's have EGR, manuals do not  - in 1995 only - later years are random and should be checked).

you'll also want to make sure that you if your EJ25 has EGR, the EJ22 has EGR.  96-98 EJ22's are random where i live - they can have, or not have EGR, regardless of model/options.  just have to ask/check.

note - you'll need exhaust header/manifold for any 96+ EJ22, they are single port exhaust, EJ25's are dual.  otherwise it bolts right up though, you just need one extra part.

1995 EJ22's have dual port exhaust so no need for manifold for that one year (auto's have EGR, manuals do not  - in 1995 only - later years are random and should be checked).

you'll also want to make sure that you if your EJ25 has EGR, the EJ22 has EGR.  96-98 EJ22's are random where i live - they can have, or not have EGR, regardless of model/options.  just have to ask/check.

In his original post, he states his car is a 2000 OBW, so 96-99 motors won't work for his car. He needs the newer motors with the 2.5 SOHC design.

The car lose a radiator hose on a trip. My girlfriend was driving it and Im pretty sure it overheated. After that for about a year it would comsume and drive a little antifreeze until it started knocking pretty bad and eventully died. The 2.2 from 99-01 is a PITA to find locally and if you due its high miles and 900$+ I might just have to pull the 2.5 and see how bad it is and possible just repair it. I really dont want to b/c that will take more time but its looking more and more like that. Thanks for all the help guys