Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Aux lamps low bumper 98 wagon

I want to install bright driving lamps in the low bumper cutouts in my 1998 Legacy L Wagon.

No lamps there currently.  Just a mini grille.  

Does anyone have experience improving Subaru headlighting?

What should I mount there?  An aux switch on the dash?  Or is there a better way?

While I'm at it, I would love to have the backup lights be powerful.

Where to mount aux backup lights?

How to wire it?

The car is pretty easy to add the factory fog light kit to with pieces from the junkyard.  The last one I did I put in the switch and the two lights in the dash and all the wiring was already there. From there you could change the lights themselves but use the factory brackets or you could maybe change the bulbs themselves depending on which fog light kit you install.  There is a projector one and a standard one for that model.

• Like 1

If the lenses of your headlamps are foggy at all get a kit and polish them. Takes very little time and the clear lenses allow a TON more light out of the lamps. Even a minor amount of fogging makes the light diffuse enough to severely affect output.

Another thing to check is the connectors on the bulbs. Make sure the pins in the connectors are clean and the sockets in the plugs are clean and corrosion free.