Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru recalls 200,000 05-09 Outback sedans and wagons for brake line corrosion

Thisis exactly what hppened to my 99 nissan villager.  Without warning, the brakes were severely dimished.  But I own a 95, 97 and 02 subaru, and so what about their brake lines?  They don't look too good.  Shouldn't the brake lines be ss?

Stainless is a pain to work with and it's harder to get leak free connections at the flare fittings. Copper-nickle brake tubing doesn't corrode like steel and it's easy to use, it just costs more for the tubing. Volvo's been using it for decades, as have some other euro manufacturers.

Steel brake lines will all eventually rust out in salt country. All it takes is one rock chip in the tubes paint coat and it starts rusting through. But they're cheap and they last for the warranty period so manufacturers keep using it.

I gotta try to get my 05 Outback in for this one I guess...

In the last three years I've blown out the rear brakeline on two different (and perfectly legally safety inspected) cars due to rust. Talk about good pucker moments! :)