Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22 and EJ25 injector differences

are the fuel injectors different between the EJ25D and the EJ22?  I would think bigger engine means bigger injectors?  i couldnt find anything on it after searching for half an hour.  Plus, if they are bigger, i was wondering if using them in my EJ22 would give me slightly more power.  not worried about mileage.

Edited by soobie_newbie67

i think there are some different injectors out there, some are gray some are ???

but regardless, the ECU is going to control the fuel air mixture so it gets what it wants.

so unless you use a different computer, non-suabru, it will not matter.

Just to clarify, you're referring to interchange between the  '95-99 2.2 and 2.5 ONLY, correct?

The earlier '90-'91 2.2's had gray injectors (Automatic trans ??) and they've been shown by Legacy777 and others to specifically run best w/the matching ECU for that year and model.

The ECU can only compensate for small differences in flow rates. Putting in '91-'94 pink turbo injectors (360cc) likely won't work. And the higher flow STi injectors (525cc) will likely flood the cylinders and could hydro-lock the engine, as 'ivans' noted.

If putting in bigger injectors, tuning is required to take advantage of the extra fuel.

TD

Edited by wtdash

There is whole thread in here that talks about the differances of injectors, mainly about stick v.s. auto, but It explains a lot about the differant injectors and how they work. I wish someone would sticky it, it's realy informative.

Edited by mikaleda

The red tops are the same. I've swapped between '92 EJ22 and '98 EJ25D injectors and the fuel trim is unchanged.

As mentioned the older grey tops flow a bit different, but it seems it's small enough that the ECU can compensate. My buddy runs grey tops with a ECU tuned for red tops.

White tops are garbage and came in the 89-91 legacy FWD (only?). Every set I've seen was literally falling apart, and I've only seen them in the FWD cars. 220cc

Grey tops were 91-97 AWD 2.2 and tend to be a reliable work horse, though their flow rate leaves much to be desired after about 150k. 240cc

Red tops came on the 2.5 and I've had a few 2.2s come in that had them, not sure if they're swapped or not. Seem to be the most resilient to mileage and usually survive being pulled from the rails 280cc

White tops are garbage and came in the 89-91 legacy FWD (only?). Every set I've seen was literally falling apart, and I've only seen them in the FWD cars. 220cc

Grey tops were 91-97 AWD 2.2 and tend to be a reliable work horse, though their flow rate leaves much to be desired after about 150k. 240cc

Red tops came on the 2.5 and I've had a few 2.2s come in that had them, not sure if they're swapped or not. Seem to be the most resilient to mileage and usually survive being pulled from the rails 280cc

89 builds with MT = Black top....unique to that manifold fuel rail

90-91 builds at or MT = Grey top.....unique to that fuel rail

92-98 EJ22 and EJ25D = Red top interchangable in fuel rails....although there are some differences in the tip design.