Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2.2 turbo swapped into 1995 Legacy outback

They guy says he'll sell it to me for 1000 bucks.  here's the bad

He decided to overhaul it and "freshen" it up.  New bearings, rings, gaskets and whatnot.  Well, after doing all that, he says he didnt "warm it up right on the first start up" and claims he fried the rings.  I've never heard of someone frying a ring; what does that mean?  and would the engine be rebuidable?  is the price ok?  thank you for all input.

Oh, and its mated to a 5 speed.

Edited by soobie_newbie67

you sound interested even if the block is blown...so sounds like a decent fit.

go into it not expecting too much from the motor.  the positive says...the block is probably good....the more cynical says something was amiss with the motor (prior damage, the rebuild) rather than the "warm up".  why did it need the rebuild to begin with...what condition was the motor before the rebuild...and how well was that rebuild done?  the "warm up" guess sounds unlikely to me.

• Like 1

Ya the only way I know of frying the rings in any motor by "warming it up wrong" would be to overheat it. He might mean he did something wrong during the initial warm up, could be he forgot to put oil in it or maybe didn't follow the torque sequence correctly and tried monkying with it after it was warmed up? I would look for sighns of overheating and do a compression check and see what's going on.

I would go in thinking that the motor is probably not worth much if anything.

ok.  well, my first post was from going off info my grandma got from the guy.  i just talked to him myself tonight.  Heres the new info + a question:

Was the 2.2 turbo an option for the the 1995 Sedans, cause i found out it i a sedan, not a wagon, and its an auto but i want the car none the less.

He tells me he put a stage 2 turbo on it and claims he didnt warm up the new turbo right.  he said he blew the charge tubing off and the car started to smoke like hell, but still runs.  i think he blew up the turbo up.  what do you guys think?

if he added a turbo, either the whole engine turbo combination or just the turbo on to the 95 engine he would have to do a bunch of other work, like exhaust, up pipe and computer to control it and wiring. i don't doubt that he did all of this, but unless he used a stand alone turbo control system, undoing this may be a JOB.

the 90 - 94 ej22 engines that got turbos actually had a different engine block than the rest of the ej22s 90 - 98. the turbo block had a closed deck, all the other years have an open deck. these block are very valuable to some folks.

get the owners name and number and talk to them directly. take grandma out of the loop.

ask for pics.

there is a chance it is a 94, not a 95. but i doubt it makes much difference.

i would not expect this to be an easy fix.

and unless it is a really really cheap it may be better to find another car that needs little or no work.

you can buy good working 95 legos for $1500, and ones that need work for $500.

Ok.  well, it is a 1995, and it is a mess.  He said the car was NA when he bought it and hired a guy to install the turbo, custom exhaust manifold, injects, and whatnot for the turbo setup.  did this car defy the laws of Subaru reliability?  cause he said he drove it for a whole year on 14 psi boost.  I pulled the number 1 plug and it was perfect.  should have taken a pic but it was the perfect example of a good AF mixture.  Here are the pics that i did take though.  I honestly think the guy blew up the oil line to the turbo.  The part i mentioned earlier where he blew the charge tubing off; that happened a week before this whole oil mess.  there's tons of oil on the outside of the engine.

btw its been sitting 9 months.

20130509_180541_zps517b7a46.jpg

20130509_180549_zps8e57a0d2.jpg

20130509_180556_zps1be8ac5f.jpg

20130509_180619_zps74a8d41d.jpg

well, theres what i have.  worth buying?  I also forgot to take a pic of it, but i found no signs of oil in the exhaust system.  Another thing that leads me to believe in a blown off oil line.

forgot this pic

20130509_180605_zps70385c99.jpg

Oh, and one thing that keeps upsetting and turning me off this car is, the guy changed a couple of his stories.  About the charge tubing coming off, he later told me he stormed out of his house and just took off.  he freaked out for a moment thinking he broke the engine but the charge tubing came off cause if a loose clamp.  He first told me it came off cause he didnt warm up the car.  But still, it didnt start smoking till a week after the tubing incident.  and it still runs and drives, just waiting for him to prove cause he cant find the key atm.

Edited by soobie_newbie67

Looks like someones dirt cheap cob job truthfully. If it works, great but it is probably a headache going into it 'broken'.. The intercooler is a very basic run of the mill Ebay piece. I had one identical once and I think it was $35 or something. The connectors look like sewer connectors or even just radiator hose, another cheapo job. When off the shelf 'hard' turbo parts ( turbo, TMIC, up pipe, down pipe ect... ) will fit that car, he was saving exactly nothing by going his route, showing he either had an Ebay is cheap mindset or that he just had no clue