Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 Legacy GT:

Haven't used the A/C in a few years, since it stopped working on its own from a slow leak.  So I fixed all the o-rings in the system.  Pulled vacuum on it today, and it was holding.  I then got R134a to charge the system with, a 19oz can(since the system specifies 19-23oz).  Got it charged up, and it works... but the compressor is squealing now.  The compressor seems to be sticking when the clutch engages on it now.  I can visually see the compressor having issues, and I verified the belt is tight.  When I rotate the compressor by hand, it moves, but not completely freely.

Does this mean my compressor is toast, and I need to replace it?  Or are there other things to check?

Edited by Speedwagon

You could add some PAG or Ester oil to the system (whichever is in the system) to see if that helps, but I don't think your compressor is going to last very long. I am thinking PAG is in the system right now.  The two oils are not interchangeable.

Edited by Rooster2

If me, I would buy one from a wrecking yard. It is not often that a Subie compressor goes bad,

Not something that you could really rebuild yoursef.

That's what I was thinking, wanted to be sure.  If I'm careful with removal, will I need to add any oil to the system after doing so?  Or will the JY compressor have all the oil it needs?

That's what I was thinking, wanted to be sure.  If I'm careful with removal, will I need to add any oil to the system after doing so?  Or will the JY compressor have all the oil it needs?

There will be a little oil in the JY compressor. In my past experience, I swapped in a JY compressor, pulled a vacuum, then added 134a to proper level. Listen to the JY compressor in operation. If it sounds a little rough in operation, then add some oil. Pretty sure it uses PAG oil. Someone on this forum should verify that PAG is used. It is readily available at a car parts store. A small can can be easily added through the low port, where 134a is added to the system.

You could also just pour in a small amount of PAG oil into the compressor before installing.