Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ok folks, here we are AGAIN with my 99 Impreza Outback Sport.  

I bought this car with 105k on it and it now has (apx) 245k.   Actually, it's been a great car BUT it's at that point where everytime I turn around, something needs replacing.  

Noticed gas leaking out of filler tube the other day while on a long trip.   Got home, pulled the plastic cover over the filler tube (broke 2 of 3 screws, tons of mud and other crap stuck in there) and sure as shootin,' the filler tube has developed a quarter size hole (rust!)  about 6" down from the gas cap.   The sensors, etc.. up there are full of rust!  (sigh)

Any ideas on a quick fix for these?  I'm really at that point where I don't know if I'm going to keep the car much longer and I just HATE dealing with all the rusted bolts/screws etc.. involved in a total remove and replace. 

Searched the forum but still could use some ideas................

Thanks in advance,

UMT

If you're looking for a really quick and dirty fix, if you clean the area and put good duct tape or Gorilla tape on it that might help at least. But it probably won't withstand even the slight vapor pressure of the gasoline and you may smell gasoline around the vehicle. The only real fix is to replace the tube.

If you're looking for a really quick and dirty fix, if you clean the area and put good duct tape or Gorilla tape on it that might help at least. But it probably won't withstand even the slight vapor pressure of the gasoline and you may smell gasoline around the vehicle. The only real fix is to replace the tube.

Yeah, that's what I did to solve just the issue of dropping gas.   Used black 'gaffers tape.'  Product used by musicians/sound/stagecraft guys.  Like duct tape only stronger and stickier.  

Will probably end up biting the bullet and replacing with a new one.

Thanks for the reply's!