Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rebuilt it yesterday, swapped it out today. Drove it a few miles home, and it didn't make it. Stalled three times, the third time it didn't restart. Started making noises... Maybe piston slapping or knocking on restart. According to my Defi gauge, the oil pressure started fine, but gradually dropped off.

Min spec for most engines is generally 10 PSI per 1k RPM up to 4k RPM. So basically 40 PSI at 4k min and 10psi at idle.. The EJ engines spec is right on that edge where if bad things happen, the bearings don't have much time left.

Edited by matt167

I just went back to the car(parked on the street 4 blocks from my apartment, where it died).  Restarted just fine, didn't make the knocking noises.  Oil pressure shot up to 6 bar like it usually does on cold start.

So I guess now I'll tow it back to the shop, and poke around to see what is wrong.  Possibly something got down in the engine when I had it apart?  Maybe a piece of paper towel or something fell down and got sucked up by the oil strainer.  Double check all my hose routings as well.  I feel better knowing it restarted fine cold though.

Started the car up this morning, and it started fine.  Drove it 2 blocks to get it in a position to tow it back to the shop.

I definitely forgot to torque the intake manifold on properly.  So that probably accounts for half of the problems.  Next I need to drain the oil, and see if anything shows up there.  The engine sounded fine though this morning when I started it.